In This Article
If you’re familiar with chimichurri sauce, then you know all about its genius attributes. If you haven’t tried refreshing chimichurri sauce before, you’re in for a delectable treat today.
First of all, chimichurri is ridiculously fun to say out loud. My peeps have to shush me because once I get started, I can’t stop. Feel free to try repeating it aloud and have fun with it, but please don’t be mad at me if people start giving you the eye.
Secondly, this chimicurri sauce recipe is unbelievably easy to make. This recipe requires zero cooking or blending. That’s right; you won’t even need to pull out that food processor for this one. It comes together super fast, it keeps well, and it tastes incredible over grilled steak, chicken, or seafood.
Make a batch of healthy chimichurri sauce to use as a tasty marinade or as a beautiful spoon-over sauce…
What ingredients do I need for this chimichurri sauce recipe?
- Plenty of freshly chopped garlic and onion are called for, which melds deliciously into this sauce.
- Many recipes use parsley as the only fresh green herb, but we’re serious cilantro fanatics, so we use both. Feel free to stick with just parsley if you’re not into cilantro.
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil helps to bind the sauce together.
- Dried crushed red pepper provides a zippy kick. You can seed/chop a fresh chili pepper, if you prefer.
- Dried or freshly chopped oregano works fabulously in this sauce.
- Red wine vinegar lends that wonderfully tangy flavor.
What are some ways to serve Chimichurri?
This is the fun part. Anything goes, so let your imagination soar. We love chimichurri sauce paired with a myriad of dishes!
Traditionally, chimichurri sauce is generously spooned over luscious grilled steak. The steaks can be marinated in some chimichurri sauce for a few hours before grilling for extra flavor, as an option. If you use it as a marinade, be sure to have extra chimichurri to generously drizzle on the finished dish.
I sometimes toss chimichurri sauce over my grilled chicken salads for an ultra tasty twist. So. Good.
Commonly Asked Questions
Chimichurri sauce is the quintessential “everything sauce.” Its flavor profile is tangy, savory, slightly spicy, and herb-mixed. It’s refreshing and simple to toss over a myriad of meals.
While pesto sauce tends to be basil-heavy, chimichurri indulges cilantro and parsley. Both sauces display a tangy balance, with chimichurri also showcasing a spicy kick.
Chimichurri was originally popular in Argentina and Uruguay, but has become popular worldwide, as it’s fresh, flexible, and pairs well with a plethora of cuisines and dishes.
Chimichurri sauce is not only fabulous as a marinade for chicken or beef, but it’s also amazing as a garnish for grilled meats and seafood.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- Combine: In a bowl, combine all ingredients and toss well. Let sit at least 10 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Cover and Chill: If making ahead of time, cover tightly and chill until ready to use. Generously spoon over grilled steak, chicken, or seafood.
Nutrition (per serving)