Spring fever is officially in the air and we’ve been bitten. Anyone else feelin’ the vibe?
The Littles are starting their last round of spring testing at school. Teachers are gearing up for year-end field trips which I will chaperone like I always do. I’ll bravely plant myself squarely into a rowdy bus load of unglued kids. Kudos to all the school bus drivers. This is why I bake them cookies, guys.
The voles enjoyed quite a joyride all over our lawn under that blanket of snow. Hubby’s on it, planting his new grass seed. The boys wanted grass seed to create a bigger ant farm. Is it wrong that we said no?
Izzy Girl was presented with her post-frost Frontline. Doggy Parents, it’s that time.
Sunscreen has taken its rightful place by the front door once again. I’m gleefully sporting flip flops and eating coffee ice cream. Wait, I ate ice cream all through the winter. Whatevs, that wasn’t the point…
We’ve even completed the annual loony-thon of hours online, registering for allthethings to keep us occupied in summer. Because 2 1/2 months at home with bouncy kids and no structure would turn me into Mama Frankenstein. Just ask my boys. Or please don’t.
With the warming skies, I’m looking forward to getting my polished nails dirty with some earth digging. I’ve got all sorts of tomatoes and basil on the brain.
Dreams of tomato basil Caprese salads have haunted me all winter and finally there’s light at the tunnels end.
My red and yellow heirlooms and fragrant basil have a couple months to wait, but in honor of what’s coming ’round the bend, let’s do this Creamy Bruscetta Pasta.
This tasty dish is delightfully bright with Greek yogurt, tomatoes, and basil. Plus plenty of fresh parm and garlic. All smothering al dente pasta – it’s just mahhvelous. Every bite is toothesome and 120% satisfying.
Healthy even. But nobody needs to know it.
I have carnivores to satisfy, so I add browned sausage to my sauce. Feel free to omit it if you prefer.
This Creamy Bruschetta Pasta is brightly flavorful, happy, and mouthwatering. Yes, noodles can be happy.
Creamy Bruschetta Pasta
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TB granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with juices
- 1 lb Italian sausage, no casing, browned/crumbled
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, lowfat is fine
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 lb dry penne pasta, or pasta of your choice
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring until fragrant, 1-2 min. Add sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and stir 1 min. Add tomatoes with juices and browned/cooked sausage. Bring to boil. Immediately reduce to simmer. Simmer sauce, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions. Drain pasta, but don't rinse. Set aside.
- Remove sauce from heat, add Greek yogurt, and season with additional kosher salt/pepper to taste. Add Parmesan and basil to the sauce, stirring to combine. Toss pasta with sauce. Serve immediately, with more Parmesan if desired.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud
Here are some other favorite easy pasta people-pleasers:
1. Creamy Tomato and Sausage Pasta. This delicious pasta dish uses egg noodles and tomato broth to create a tantalizing meal everyone will love.
- Chunky Sausage and Vegetable Pasta Sauce. This here is my all time favorite multi-purpose sauce. It works every time and is beyond yummy.
- Tomato Basil Pasta. This is a cream-free, meatless version of tomato-basil pasta. Made with fresh tomatoes and basil. So, so good, I could eat this every night.
- Chunky Bolognese Pasta. I’m hard pressed to think of any other tomato based pasta dish I love better than this one. It’s complex, full-bodied, and good enough to serve your friends on a Saturday night.
- How about Creamy Avocado Pasta? It’s creamy and scrumptiuos, without a trace of cream! This one’s all about the avocado.