Table of contents
Blueberry Bars: What exactly are they?
Blueberry Crumb Bars are a delicious fusion of blueberry pie and blueberry crumble. It has a buttery crust, just like pie. It boasts a tantalizing blueberry filling in the center, similar to both pies and crumbles. Yet it incorporates the mouthwatering crumble topping characteristic of crumble desserts. Essentially, it’s the best of both worlds.
What You’ll Love About Blueberry Bars
- These Blueberry Bars boast a big load of fresh blueberries, bursting with juicy sweetness.
- The top and bottom layers consist of a buttery bottom crust and crispy topping that’s infused with fragrant cinnamon.
- It can be made entirely in advance; in fact, it should to be cooled completely in order to set.
- Blueberry Crumb Bars are fabulous served chilled or re-heated. Hubby and I are torn on this one; I prefer my bars chilled, while he is adamant that reheated in the toaster oven is the way to go.
- Whichever way you choose, chilled or warmed, these bars are amazing with a scoop of ice cream.
Watch Us Make These Blueberry Bars
Did you see the trick for evenly pressing down the bottom crust? ↑ ↑
Commonly Asked Questions
We often make our dessert bars 1-2 days in advance. Since these blueberry bars can be served chilled OR re-heated, it’s recommended to bake at least the night before.
Leftover bars freeze beautifully! Simply wrap them airtight and freeze up to several weeks.
Yes! You can use a mixture of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, or cherries, for a total of 4 cups.
Nuts are a great addition to the topping, for both crunch and extra nutrition. Toasted chopped walnuts and pecans are favorites. Roasted sliced almonds can also be used.
More To Bake And Eat
- Lemon Bars with Shortbread Crust – these are by far the best lemon bars we’ve ever tried. They’re handed down by an old friend who was famous for her lemon bars.
- Chewy Apple Oatmeal Bars (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free) – these delicious bars are perfect for those who have gluten and dairy sensitivities. But really, they’re for anyone who simply loves apples + oats.
- The Best Apple Pie Bars – speaking of apples, if you love apple pie, these bars will serve you very (very) well. They’re much easier to make and every bit as delish.
- Chewy Monster Cookie Bars (One-Bowl!) – no, these cookie bars do not contain fruit. Yes, they are genuinely worth every single bite. Take them to your next party or picnic and watch them disappear.
Easy Blueberry Bars with Crumble Topping
Blueberry Bars are just the ticket when you want a dessert that’s crunchy, fruity, and bursting with flavor. It’s always a hit at potlucks and gatherings. Delicious chilled or reheated.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
Yield: 16 1x
For the Crust & Topping:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 cup cold salted butter, sliced into cubes
- 1 large egg
For the Filling:
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon (approx. 3 TB)
- Prepare: Preheat oven 375F with rack on lower middle position. Grease a 9×13 baking pan and set aside.
- Make the Crust/Topping: In a bowl, hand-whisk the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the cold butter. Add the egg and continue to cut in with pastry cutter until dough becomes a crumbly consistency. Evenly press half of the dough into greased pan (see video for tips.)
- Make the Filling: In a large bowl, hand-whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the blueberries to coat. Softly spread blueberries evenly over crust, including excess juice from the bowl. Evenly sprinkle remaining topping dough over the blueberry layer.
- Bake: Bake 45-50 min or just until topping is golden brown. Let dessert cool completely at room temp before cutting into squares (may be easier to cut when chilled) Serve bars chilled or re-heated, with ice cream or freshly whipped cream.
It’s important to let dessert cool completely, in order to set.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 22.5 g
- Sodium: 44 mg
- Fat: 12.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.2 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 42.1 mg
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: blueberry pie bars, blueberry crumb bars, blueberry bars, blueberry crumble
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram