In This Article
Almond Dessert Bars
It’s awesome to be back in the rhythm of routine on our stomping grounds of Minneapolis. After an epic trip to Berlin+ 3 long flights back home, I’m almost over the jet lag. I’m happily back at my local coffee shop with laptop, armed with hot decaf and nuts that I can’t stop eating.
Talk about eating. These Award Winning Almond Dessert Bars are no joke. These custardy, shortbready, almondy bars were entered into a local bake-off contest and won 1st place.
There were a lot of taste-testers judging these bars among tables full of delicious baked goods. I personally had a [couple] plates full of like 75 treats to taste-test. Don’t feel sorry for me.
It’s no surprise these Almond Dessert Bars took home the prize. Lucky for me, I took home the recipe. Special thanks to Jim Schmidt, who was kind enough to let me share his recipe with y’all…he’s not only a fab baker, he’s got major skills behind the camera as well. Go check out his photography and then come back for the recipe…
How to Make Almond Bars
There are 3 basic layers to these delicious almond dessert bars: crust, filling, and frosting.
The crust is essentially a simple 3-ingredient shortbread. Butter, flour, and sugar are combined and pressed into a 9×13 pan. Bake until it transforms into a melt-in-your-mouth shortbread crust. It’s insanely delish. So happy it’s the thickest layer.
The filling is a 4-ingredient combination of eggs, cream cheese, sugar, and almond extract. It is SO SO GOOD. After a bit of baking, the filling becomes an irresistible creamy almond-flavored custard.
The frosting is a simple combo of sugar, butter, milk, and almond extract. No baking needed here; just frost and chill. If you haven’t tried almond infused frosting…OMG. It’s time.
Why You’ll Love These
- They’re a triple threat of YUM, with 3 delicious AND easy layers
- Thick buttery shortbread crust
- Creamy custardy center
- Easy almond infused frosting
- Perfect for all the parties, get togethers, and bake-offs 😉
Enjoy – it’s officially baking season!
You’ll want to bookmark this recipe, too
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Award Winning Almond Dessert Bars
For the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- Make the Crust: In a large bowl, combine the butter and powdered sugar; using electric (or stand) mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together on medium high speed until light and fluffy, 3-4min. Gently add flour and mix on low speed just until combined. Mixture will be crumbly, so use hands to form a dough ball. Press evenly into prepared glass pan to form bottom crust (I use bottom of a flat glass cup to press down evenly.) Bake 18 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Remove from oven, but leave oven on.
- While the crust is baking, make Filling: In a large bowl, combine eggs, very-soft cream cheese, and sugar. Whisk together until creamy and no lumps remain (it really helps if your cream cheese is quite soft to start with.) Add almond extract and mix to combine. Evenly pour the filling over crust, using rubber spatula to scrape all filling. Bake 15-20 min or until set. Let dessert cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost the Bars: In a bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Whisk until smooth and no more lumps. Evenly frost over cooled dessert bars (be sure bars have cooled completely before frosting.) Cover, chill, and serve with almond slices on top.
- This Almond Dessert Bars recipe can be made a day ahead of time. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Plan for the cooling time needed before frosting.
- Dessert is easiest to slice if you take it out of the fridge 30 min before serving.
- If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ❤️