This Thai Chicken and Rice is a tasty way to twist up the old chicken and rice dish. Not only is it healthy and full of flavor, but it comes together easily and quickly in just one pan!
Thai Chicken and Rice
Get ready for a magnificently tasty way to twist up the old chicken and rice routine, because you’re about to go from ordinary to extraordinary using just one pan and 30 minutes of time.
We’re talking a surprisingly healthy, light chicken and rice that makes no sacrifice on flavor. Make it milder or kick up the spice; it’s entirely up to you. There’s plenty of room for variation in this Thai inspired chicken and rice dish; we’ve listed some favorite ideas for you below.
The big plus about this 30-minute dinner: it’s super easy to prepare in advance and is a standout choice for quick ‘n easy meal prep.
Your Strategy for Prepping Ahead
Here are several things you can do the night before or days in advance, so all your pieces are ready to go when 5pm comes around on the day you’re ready to cook.
- Cut boneless/skinless chicken thighs (thighs recommended for tenderness) and place in covered container in fridge. This can be done 1-2 days ahead of time. Extra chicken can be cup up and frozen in freezer bags for future meals like Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
- Chop onions and garlic ahead of time: up to several days in advance. They’ll keep well chilled in an airtight container. It’s smart practice to always have chopped onions and garlic in separate small zipper bags to save time. They’ll keep for a long time in the freezer.
- Seed/Chop vegetables 1-3 days ahead: If using bell peppers, they’ll stay fresh and crisp in airtight container in fridge even up to 3 days. Chopped tomatoes should be used the next day.
- Mix liquids in advance: chicken broth, coconut milk, soy sauce, fish sauce, and chili powder. Keep mixture in an airtight container in fridge, up to several days until ready to use.
On dinner night, simply take out your prepared ingredients and cook.
Bonus: fully cooked Thai chicken and rice re-heats well and is fantastic for meal prepping extra lunches or dinners.
Ingredient substitutions and variations
- Ground turkey or any other ground meat can be used in place of chicken thighs
- Almost any vegetable can work in this chicken and rice dish: instead of bell peppers or tomatoes, also try broccoli florets and edamame.
- Try vegetable broth or beef broth in place of the chicken broth
- Top with freshly chopped cilantro or green onions
- Use your favorite dried chili peppers in lieu of chili powder
Other easy Thai Dishes to try:
- Thai Stir Fry Noodles – Pad See Ew
- Spicy Thai Grilled Shrimp
- Crunchy Thai Salad
- Thai Green Curry Noodles
- Thai Basil Chicken with Peppers
- 3-Ingredient Thai Iced Coffee Recipe
- Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles