Happy January, Friends!
At this time last year, Hubby and I embarked on the Whole30, which we talked a little about in this post. We dove in 100%, following the structured eating plan to a strict capital T.
Our most notable takeaways were: (a) Don’t embark on your first Whole30 during a month of heavy traveling, (b) Whole30 may or may not help with physical ailments, as it all depends on what your maladies are, and (c) giving up sugar was the easiest part of the entire mission.
That was not a typo and you read that right. Giving up sugar for 30 days was not hard. That was the big shocker to me, since I claim ownership to the biggest sweet tooth. My month-long dodging of Garlicky Spaghetti and Crusty French bread and Thai Fried Rice proved much more challenging.
I didn’t ask or want our boys to geek out on Whole30 with us, but all three of them agreed to shun sugar with me for an entire month. And it was totally, surprisingly, happily doable.
So here we are, January once again. No Whole30 this time, since my new coach warned against embarking on drastic diet changes in the midst of intense training.
But our family has decided to forgo sugar for 30 days to kick all that holiday sugar to the curb and remind our taste buds how yummy food is without refined sugar. Starting with this luscious, cozy, comforting Lemon Lentil Soup Recipe…
I actually made this for a recent potluck where several friends were vegetarian. I wanted to make a hearty soup that was fulfilling enough to make both vegetarians and meat lovers happy.
Everyone – men, women, grownups, kids…everyone devoured this huge pot of lemon lentil soup. I mean there were barely any scraps of soup left by the time I helped clean up the kitchen.
Don’t let the healthy fool you with this lemon lentil soup recipe. This lentil soup is all about flavor, big and bold.
The plentiful, nutrient dense lentils make this soup what I call vegan meaty.
Meaning nobody misses the meat in this healthful, hearty stew-like soup. It’s ultra yummy, filling, and comforting to the max.
Garlic, lemon, and seasonings provide ample flavors that make every bite simply irresistible. We love some freshly shaved parmesan to top off our lentil soup bowls, but feel free to omit it if you’re keeping it vegan.
Here’s to a scrumptious start to January.
You’ll probably really like this, too:
Easy Lemon Lentil Soup Recipe
This Easy Lemon Lentil Soup Recipe is so delicious, it’s about to become part of your regular meal rotation. Lemon Lentil Soup is healthy, hearty, and happens to be vegan with big bold flavors.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Yield: 8-10 1x
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 28 oz fire roasted tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups kale leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- freshly shaved parmesan for garnish (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat olive oil until hot. On medium-high heat, add onions to pot and stir 1 minute. Add garlic, carrots, and celery, stirring frequently 2-3 minutes. Add oregano, basil, and cumin, stirring 1 minute. Add fire roasted tomatoes with all juices, stirring until well combined. Add lentils and broth; bring mixture to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to a simmer; cover and simmer 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the kale leaves, fresh lemon juice, and kosher salt/pepper to taste. Serve with freshly shaved parmesan, if desired.
- Category: dinner, soup
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Kitchen Stuff We Love:
Feeding the Soul:
Cozy, Comforting Soups: