This Lentil Black Bean Chili is a fabulous meatless chili; it’s hearty, full of flavor, and so delicious you won’t even miss the meat. A healthy and succulent way to get on the lentil train.
My mom is fond of creating various bean soups, home brew style. I’ve never really known what went into those legume stews, but every bowl was always delicious.
I’ve finally come to the realization that many currently hip and trendy ingredients are things Mom and Grandma regularly cooked with. There’s nothing new under the sun. (I knew that.)
Food trends have brought us back to the basics, and humble legumes like soybeans, lentils, and beans are on point. They’re today’s foodie coolness…
Maybe old school grains like quinoa and legumes like lentils have been hey-dey-ing because of more and more people going meatless.
Or maybe it’s the whole protein and fiber deal. Powerhouse foods and all.
Or maybe it’s the Dr. Oz vibe. One-two-punch, anyone?
Whatever the reason, it’s all good. Really, really good.
This Lentil Black Bean Chili surprised me with its sheer hearty quality. I had major doubts about the kids embracing this one. I expected Hubbs to be confused about a meatless meal from me.
All wasted worries. The kiddos scarfed up their bowls of this flavorful chili, proclaiming it yummy. Hubby hardly noticed it was meatless, given the robust heartiness of lentils. He happily packed leftovers for lunch the next day.
I personally adore this veggie rich chili. It’s got almost zero fat, it’s packed with nutrients, and it tastes like a rock star chili should.
Pssst. This Lentil Black Bean Chili? You could use a spoon…OR use scoop-size corn chips.
With or without sprinkles of sharp cheddar cheese.
Just sayin’. 😉Print
This lentil black bean chili easily feeds a hungry crowd and is a great meatless meal. Easy enough for the busiest weeknights and tastes delicious and robust!
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 5 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp chili powder (more or less, depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 TB smoked paprika
- 1 TB granulated sugar
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth (plus a bit extra if needed)
- 1 3/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 24 oz jar chunky vegetable pasta sauce
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- Optional: sliced avocado, shredded sharp cheddar, fresh lime slivers for serving
- In a Dutch oven or heavy large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic until veggies are softened, 1-2 min. Add chili powder, smoked paprika, sugar, allspice, and cumin. Stir and cook 1 min. Add broth, lentils, and pasta sauce. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer 30 min.
- Add black beans, corn, and cover. Continue simmer 20 more min or until lentils are nicely tender and mixture has thickened. If needed, add a bit more broth to loosen. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Source: Chew Out Loud, inspired by Taste, Love, Nourish
Here are our favorite, winning, fail-proof, foolproof, always great chili recipes!
1. Chunky, Hearty Chili. This is THE chili that caught my attention many years ago, and it’s still my go-to recipe for game days.
2. White Chicken Chili. I love this hearty white chicken twist on chili. It’s always a crowd pleaser.
3. Turkey (or Beef) Chili with Sriracha. Kick up your chili with delicious tang and zest of Sriracha.
4. Chili with Black Beans and Corn, done in the slow cooker. Simply delish for any busy day.
I’d love to connect with you on Facebook! Like Us, and get newest recipes and giveaway news! We love rewarding our readers with awesome gift cards on COL; don’t miss out!