Whenever I want easy, fail-proof treats to make with the kids on a lazy afternoon, crispy rice cereal bars easily make the list. Sometimes we go with the basic, no frills Rice Krispy treats that are forever a surefire hit. Other times, we change it up and go for a bit of frill. This was one of those other times. I had a box of crisp rice cereal from Trader Joe’s in my pantry, awaiting just this type of occasion. (By the way, this isn’t an ad for Trader Joe’s; I’m just a die-hard TJ’s fan all on my own. If there isn’t a Trader Joe’s near you, start petitioning for one now.)
My little guys and I were all set to stir up a batch of the no-bake peanut butter crispy treats on the cereal box… you know, “back of the box” goodies. But I never can actually follow a recipe and started changing things up, as usual. Then I see a bag of marshmallows in my pantry that need to be put to good use. So this is what came out of it all.
These no-bake s’mores peanut butter crispy bars turned out sooo yummy! Of course, anything s’mores is going to be stellar. These S’mores chocolate cookie bars were my most recent s’mores hit and my all-time favorite, these chocolate marshmallow bars. All these s’mores treats this summer are bringing back the kid in me. The dangerous thing is, these s’mores peanut butter crispy bars are absolutely grown-up friendly. Especially for grown-ups who are peanut butter addicts.
Six ingredients later and zero baking at all will lead you happily to these s’mores peanut butter crispy bars. Simply toss some simple ingredients together and let it cool. The hard part is waiting for it to cool enough to cut and dig into. You’ll love the perfect sweetness of agave nectar, the big peanut butter flavor that shines, smooth chocolate chunks, and crisp texture in every bite. Oh, and the pillowy soft little marshmallows dancing on top.
Here’s to the kid in all of us. Enjoy!
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
S'mores Peanut Butter Crispy Bars (No-Bake)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup pure agave nectar
- 1 cup salted peanut butter, creamy or chunky both work well
- 7 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 bag chocolate chips, 12 oz
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine brown sugar and agave nectar. Bring to boil, stirring continuously, until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and add peanut butter. Stir together until mixture is well incorporated.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer peanut butter mixture into a large bowl. Add crispy rice cereal, and mix together well. If cereal mixture is still warm, let it sit until it cools down to lukewarm.
- Add chocolate chips and mix in well. Gently add in mini marshmallows, reserving some for pressing onto the top, if desired. Press mixture evenly into a greased 13x9 baking pan.
- Cool for several hours in fridge until bars are set and hardened enough to cut into squares.
Nutrition (per serving)
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from Trader Joe’s Crisp Rice Cereal