We celebrate a Little’s birthday every other month, from February through June.
Tomorrow is the Biggest Little’s big 12. Despite the middle school status and tween label, those guys are still into sharing birthday treats at school.
Come to think of it, that never really stops. Grownups are totally enamored with birthday treats at work, too. You know if you bring cupcakes to work, they’ll be snatched up before lunch break. Free food in the lounge = fair game.
This year, rice crispy treats have been the forerunner at school. Sans peanut butter, because it’s the twenty-tens and everyone knows The Peanut is not a welcome guest in the classroom. Neither is anything homemade. So store-bought rice crispy treats in the blue box, it is.
At home…well, that’s a different story altogether…
It’s okay that PB is out at school. Because there’s after school. Before school. You get the gist.
At home, we can dig into all that ridiculously tempting, creamy peanut butter. Mixed with dreamy chocolate.
And dig in, we do.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Bars are loaded with crispy rice cereal and creamy peanut butter. The texture is given a slight chewiness from pure honey.
Pack in the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. You already know it’s gonna be irresistible, so we could stop here.
But we won’t. Because we must toss on those peanut butter cups.
Go big or go home, right? 🙂
Here’s to all the tweens who still give out birthday treats at school.
And plenty of peanut butter to come home to.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Bars
- 1 cup pure honey
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups creamy natural peanut butter
- 6 cups dry crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 cups peanut butter morsels
- ⅔ cup chopped chocolate peanut butter cups
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with oil and set aside. Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine honey and sugar over medium high heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. Turn off heat. Immediately add the peanut butter, stirring until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape mixture into the bowl of cereal. Stir until fully incorporated. Press mixture evenly into bottom and corners of greased pan. (Tip: Works well to use clean, damp fingers)
- In the same saucepan (cleaned out,) combine the chocolate morsels and peanut butter morsels, over low heat, and continually stir until smooth and melted.
- Spread melted chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the crisp rice mixture in pan, smoothing out evenly. Evenly sprinkle on the chocolate peanut butter cups. When bars reach room temp, cover and chill until set. Cut into bars and serve. (If your room temp is warm, it's best to keep bars chilled at all times until ready to serve.)
Nutrition (per serving)
Source: Chew Out Loud
If Peanut Butter is Your Jam: