Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe
This Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe is super easy to make and is a crowd favorite. This party dip loves to show up on game days, holidays, and gatherings. It’s deliciously addictive with potato chips, baguette slices, and pita chips.
If you hang around long enough it quickly becomes obvi that we are garlic and onion fanatics. There are few fall basics as gloriously versatile as roasted garlic and caramelized onions. They make all the food that much better.
Now that we are diving into the season where weekends are filled with game day or holiday get togethers, we’re taking every opportunity to max out on eats like Caramelized Onion Dip.
This is one of those party dips that is easily made ahead of time so you can actually enjoy the party rather than be tinkering around the kitchen while everyone else is noshing away.
I’m starting to think I’m obsessed with make-ahead recipes. For all the entertaining we do, anything that can be prepared ahead of time is a total YES during the busy season (really all seasons)…
Tips for How to Make Caramelized Onion Dip
- The best, most efficient tip I have: when many recipes say “softened cream cheese,” get that block really really soft. As in, place the block of cream cheese in microwaveable bowl and heat for 30-second increments until it’s lukewarm (but not hot) and soft enough to easily stir. It will make that no-lumps-texture thing so much easier.
- Take your time cooking down the onions. At first, the onions will look like a ton; trust that I didn’t go nutty on you. The onions take about 15 minutes to cook down. They’ll end up less than half the volume of what you started off with. And they will be joyfully delicious.
- We used fresh chives for our herbs, but feel free to use parsley or none at all. It’s more for vanity and a touch of extra flavor.
- We also like including crumbled bacon on top of the finished dip. All your bacon lovers will not be mad if you choose to go that route.
What to serve with Caramelized Onion Dip
This Caramelized Onion Dip recipe is creamy, full flavored, and an instant hit.
It’s supremely with all the finger foods and more:
- potato chips
- veggie sticks
- baguette slices or crostini
- pita chips
- sandwich spread
- burger spread
- charcuterie board
Any other ideas, send them over…I’d love to hear them!
Go ahead and get caramelized 😋
You may want to bookmark this one for later:
Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz plain Greek yogrut
- 4 oz regular cream cheese, softened to lukewarm
- ½ tsp worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Optional toppings: freshly chopped chives, crumbled bacon
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil until hot, over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic powder, salt, sugar, and pepper. Stir to combine well. Continue cooking 15-20 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes. After each stir, shake pan to even out the mixture to a single layer so onions cook evenly. Once onions are soft and nicely browned, turn heat off and let rest.
- In a bowl, combine very soft cream cheese (microwave in 30-second increments to get it to a very-soft, lukewarm consistency) and yogurt. Use hand whisk to blend mixture together until smooth, without clumps. Add in the worcestershire and parmesan, stirring to combine well. Add caramelized onions and stir to incorporate. Transfer to serving dish. Top with chives and bacon, if desired. Serve immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Kitchen Stuff we Love:
Party Dips Worth Eating:
Easy Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip