The Littles have been begging for a Day of Burgers. It’s been quite awhile, with the long winter followed by an unpredictable spring so far. But it is late May. Seeing as it’s Memorial weekend just around the bend, it’s more than apropos for a day of burgers.
Plus, it’s really and truly National Burger Month. And Memorial Day is always the day that burger season officially kicks off.
Let’s do this.
Last week when I was on my own with The Littles for dinner, I took them to a new burger joint (super yummy…sorry, Hubbs.) They had everything from taco burgers to quadruple layer ones. I don’t know a soul who could down a burger with 9 patties without passing out.
Sometimes classic is best, yes? A classic BLT burger is always and forever good.
I did twist it up some. We’re talking BLT Burger with Roasted Garlic Mayo, I know. But I promise it’s still a classic with a mouthwatering twist that’s worth your garlic.
I love when Hubby grills up these big, juice burgers and I get to party it up with plenty of add-ins. Ripe avocado slices, caramelized onions, melty white cheddar cheese… and this dreamy roasted garlic mayo. It’s 200% better than just ketchup and mustard.
If you’ve never roasted garlic – It. Is. Time.
Particularly if you’re a garlic fiend or you know someone who is.
Just the heady aroma of roasting garlic is enough to make everyone come running hungrily to the kitchen.
They’ll ask the all-important question: when’s dinner? Repeatedly they’ll ask this. Over and over again.
Then when you serve up these luscious burgers, you’ll hear nothing but quiet. Ahhhh….enjoy.Print
BLT Burger with Roasted Garlic Mayo
This BLT Burger with Roasted Garlic Mayo takes a classic burger to the next level. Buttery avocado, caramelized onions, and an amazing sauce over a juicy all-beef patty. It’s the reason for grill season.
Yield: 4 1x
- For Roasted Garlic Mayo Sauce:
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup real mayo
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For Burgers:
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 TB oil
- 2 lbs ground beef (chuck, 80/20)
- white cheddar cheese slices
- 1 avocado, sliced and drenched in lemon juice
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and drained
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, sliced
- Make Roasted Garlic Mayo: Mash up roasted garlic cloves. Mix well with remaining sauce ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Lasts for up to a week in fridge.
- For the Burgers: In a large nonstick pan, cook onions in the 2 TB oil over medium high heat, stirring often. Cook until very soft and golden brown, caramelized. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a bowl, liberally sprinkle ground beef with salt and pepper and mix to incorporate. Shape into 4 large patties, and keep at room temp. When ready to cook, grill burgers to medium rare or medium. Place cheese slices on top of the patties and keep warm.
- Assemble Burgers: Spread garlic mayo generously on buns. Layer on avocado, bacon, tomatoes, caramelized onions, and lettuce over warm cheese/beef patties.
- Category: dinner, main
Source: Chew Out Loud
If you’re ready to fire up that grill, here are a few of our faves:
1. Hungry Hawaiian Burger. I think this is THE burger I’d choose if I could have only one more burger in the world. The flavors are simply fantastic.
2. Cabernet Burgers with Blue Cheese. It’s a grownup burger with grownup flavors. We’ve come so far from McD’s. Definitely serve it with your favorite cab. Swoon worthy.
3. BBQ Baked Ribs. You can put these on the grill to finish off if you’d like, but it’s not even necessary. When your grill is busy with burgers, place these babies in the oven and see what happens. These are finger-licking good beyond belief.
4. Smoky BBQ Pulled Chicken. So, so fabulous for your summer grill outs. Except you don’t need a grill for this one. It’s a favorite of kids and adults alike.