Better 1 or better 2? (Blink)
Better 3 or better 4? (Blink and repeat)
All us glasses and contacts wearers know that drill all too well. Not my favorite annual exercise at all, but it’s gotta be done. If I want to see beyond 2 feet, anyways.
I’m probably an optometrist’s nightmare because half the time my answer is “ummm” and I seriously can’t choose a number.
Just like I can’t decide between my two favorite desserts in the world: cheesecake vs. brownies. Who can choose just one?
Thankfully, the choice needn’t be made at all. No, you can have your brownies and eat your cheesecake too.
At this very hungry moment in time, I can hardly think of a more blissful bite. Chewy, fudgey layers of chocolate brownies with a thick layer of creamy cheesecake.
It’s a cheesecake lover’s dream. A brownie fan’s utopia.
Here’s to choices made easier than 1, 2, 3.
Blink and they’ll be gone.
Fudgey Cheesecake Brownies
For the Brownies:
For the Cheesecake Filling:
- 16 oz regular cream cheese, softened to room temp
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line pan with extra long sheets of heavy duty foil so that there is an overhang after pressing foil into the corners/sides of pan. Overhang helps you to easily remove entire pan of brownies afterwards. Butter the foil bottom and sides. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, salt and baking powder together in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the chocolate and butter. Melt on low heat and constantly stir until completely melted and smooth. Whisk in the sugar and vanilla extract; allow the mixture to cool slightly. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Continue to whisk the mixture is completely smooth. Add the dry ingredients, using a rubber spatula to fold until just incorporated.
- Make the cream cheese filling by beating the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg yolks together in a small bowl until evenly blended.
- Pour half the brownie batter into the prepared pan, spreading it in an even layer. Gently spread the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Layering the remaining brownie batter over cream cheese filling.
- Bake until the edges of the brownies have puffed slightly, the center feels not quite firm when touched lightly, and a toothpick or cake tester inserted 1-inch from the edge (not the center!) comes out with several moist, fudgey crumbs adhering to it, about 45 minutes. It will not seem fully done, but will set nicely upon cooling.
- Cool the brownies in a pan on a wire rack until room temp, and then chill at least 3 hours. Remove brownies using foil overhang, transferring entire dessert onto a cutting board. Cut into squares and serve (a sharp serrated bread knife works well.)
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud, loosely adapted from Baking Illustrated Cookbook