I adore standing in the middle of the market, shucking corn next to a super-sized trash bin.
Said nobody ever.
Despite the mess of husk-strings, there is nothing quite like the sweet juiciness that comes from locally grown corn. It’s matchless.
We get ours from a local farmer’s market, which is still in full swing. We bring way too many ears of corn home. Then we put The Littles to work. 😉
Hubby innocently patronizes the boys with his uncanny ability to eat his corn in neat little rows. The boys are seriously envious of that skill.
Me, I just munch and chomp with reckless abandon. Who needs neat little rows of corn kernels?
Unless you want to make a corn salad. In which case, simply break out a little knife and slice away.
This Fresh Corn Avocado Salad is:
- Fresh & delicious
- Healthy & full of only the good stuff
- Super duper easy & versatile with any meal
Crispy, juicy, creamy, rich, and light. All in one. Love the flavors? You might also give this homemade shrimp ceviche a try!
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Fresh Corn Avocado Salad
- 4 sweet ears of fresh corn, shucked
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- Juice of 1 large lime
- ¼ cup freshly torn basil leaves
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large semi-ripe avocado
- Immerse corn in a pot of cold water (add 2-3 TB sugar if your corn isn't a sweet variety.) Bring to a rapid boil uncovered. Immediately turn heat off, cover with lid, and let sit 15 minutes. Use tongs to transfer corn to a colander and rinse well with cold water to prevent further cooking. When cool enough to handle, slice rows of whole kernels off the corn. Set aside.
- Place corn kernels in a serving bowl (leave some corn kernels in rows, if you like the look of freshly sliced corn.) Add freshly torn basil leaves and half of the lime juice. Add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Use rubber spatula to toss gently.
- Peel, seed, and cut avocado into small cubes; toss with remaining lime juice. Carefully add to the corn mixture, tossing just enough to combine. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
Source: Chew Out Loud
Crazy for Corn and Avocado: