What’s a Salad Dip? It’s the title given to a dish that is healthy enough to be a summery salad, yet scrumptious enough to be a dip. I couldn’t agree with myself on whether this Black Bean Avocado Salad creation was a salad or a dip, so both it is. It is even a fabulous salsa over your favorite grilled protein. Three in one; maybe I should have named it a Salsa Salad Dip.
Avocados have become quite the superfood. The foodie world is smitten with avocados; it’s now featured in everything from main dish to dessert. We still love our very best and most favorite Chunky Guacamole. Avocado Pasta is an awesome way to use up ripening fruit, for a healthy and satisfying dinner. Can’t forget avocados in The Burger for grilling season. And, why not make it into a sweet treat?
I recently brought this over to a small group gathering as a dip, with crispy corn chips (shout out, Groupies!) It was a hit, with everyone dipping and munching away at the refreshingly crisp, slightly salty, and lime infused goodness. The avocado and black beans show off their characteristic creaminess. Tomatoes and cucumbers hit the spot on a warm day, with their refreshing lightness. Sweet corn offers a sweet crunch into the mix. Toss in fresh cilantro, a splash of lime, and sprinkle of kosher salt. Sooooo good. And beautiful to boot.
The result is a happy dance in your mouth. Serve it with your favorite chips. Plate it on the side for a yummy salad. Spoon it over grilled chicken or fish for an amazing salsa. Yes, yes, and yes.
So. Salad, dip, or salsa… maybe all three? Make it, and you decide how you like it best. Enjoy! 🙂
Black Bean Avocado Salad Dip
- ½ cup fresh lime juice, about 4-5 limes + bit more for sprinkling
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed with cold water and drained well
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels
- 2 large, or 3 medium slightly ripened avocados
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 to matoes, seeded and diced
- ½ cup sweet onion, vidalia, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl, for lime dressing. Whisk to incorporate well. Set dressing aside.
- In serving bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except for avocados. Toss so that ingredients are well mixed (avocados will be mixed in later, to prevent browning.)
- Whisk the lime dressing again, and immediately pour over the salad. Gently toss salad with dressing to coat evenly. Let dish sit at least 4-6 hours so flavors can infuse. Just before serving, peel and dice avocados and sprinkle with bit of lime juice. Gently mix avocados into salad and serve.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud