Lomo Saltado is a scrumptious Peruvian dish that is loaded with big, bold flavors. The genius combination of lean tender beef, garlic, tomatoes, and herbs make this one of the most popular Peruvian dishes. Lomo Saltado is typically served with crispy fries and fluffy rice.
Delicious Lomo Saltado Recipe
During our 35+ years in Los Angeles, Hubby and I fell in love with the plentiful Peruvian eats around the cities of So. Cal.
Our favorite restaurants were owned by Peruvian families who cooked up the most amazing lomo saltado. If you’ve never tried lomo saltado, now is The Time.
Fair warning: you may forever crave its magical flavors once you’ve tasted it.
Those of you that are already infatuated with this popular Peruvian stir fry dish…you don’t need any persuasion to cook this up immediately.
I lucked out when our good friends got a hold of this traditional lomo saltado recipe after their Peruvian friend cooked it for them. Since I am hunter-gatherer of all magnificent recipes, I obviously begged for the recipe. When I received it, my thrilled self could have jumped up for 30 burpees, possibly without whining.
When we make this lomo saltado dish, it’s quickly devoured in one sitting. We’ve yet to experience leftovers with this one. The hubby, the kids, the friends, the everyone — they all love this explosion of flavors.
Bonus: This Peruvian stir fry also happens to be on my healthy options list.
What Ingredients do I need to make Lomo Saltado?
If you’re anything like me, you’re a busy bee who has little time for hunting down ingredients. That’s why you’ll LOVE this lomo saltado recipe; all the ingredients are everyday items you either already have or can easily get at your grocery store.
The only item I didn’t have was aji amarillo paste, which is a lovely golden pepper paste that imparts the kick you want in lomo saltado. I ordered my jar of aji amarillo easily online, but if your grocery store has a good ethnic aisle, you can probably find it there.
ingredients for Lomo Saltado Recipe:
- Boneless New York or ribeye steak, thinly sliced. Some use sirloin, but we love the NY and ribeye cuts for their tenderness.
- Plenty of fresh garlic. Because you can never have enough garlic.
- Red onion, thinly sliced.
- Ripe roma or plum tomatoes, larger sized. Some choose to seed the tomatoes, but I really like leaving the juices intact, as it melds into the sauce wonderfully.
- Aji Amarillo paste; depending on the brand you use, the spice level can vary. I wrote 4-6 TB in the recipe card, so you can decide how much kick you want.
- Soy sauce. Yes, absolutely soy sauce and plenty of it. You can keep it gluten-free by using Tamari soy sauce, which is naturally gluten free and tastes delicious.
- Red wine vinegar provides the tangy flavor of the overall dish.
- Ground cumin; again, plenty of it, as it adds tremendous flavor.
- Freshly chopped cilantro finishes off the dish and gives it the traditional flavor we know and love.
What should we serve lomo saltado with?
- It’s classic to serve your stir-fry directly over crispy french fries. At many restaurants, you’ll get thick cut fries. Often, the fries may be stirred into the dish. You get to decide on thick vs. thin, baked or fried, and stirred in vs. on the side. We serve our saucy lomo saltado over a plate of crispy fries. That way, some of the fries are saucy and some are crispy. We’re talking french fries, so you can’t go wrong however you do it.
- It’s also traditional to serve lomo saltado over fluffy rice. We’ve had it over white rice, basmati rice, fried rice, and next time I’ll do brown rice because I’m addicted to Instant Pot Brown Rice. White Jasmine rice is always a winning choice.
- Lomo saltado is ultra delicious with drizzled with “Peruvian green sauce.” It’s a light yet rich, creamy, dreamy sauce that is finger-licking good and goes well on almost everything. I provided the green sauce recipe below, if you want to whip up a batch.
* If you make this recipe or any other Chew Out Loud recipes, be sure to tag us @chewoutloud on Instagram so we can see what you created. We love seeing what you make and giving shout outs 👍🏼 😋