My peeps and I adore Thai flavors. The aromatic burst of garlic, lime, and basil are the bee’s knees. 💞
We were unknowingly spoiled by all those years of living next door to some of the tastiest mom and pop Thai restaurants in L.A. Now that we’re in the Midwest, the hop-and-a-skip Thai takeout runs are much farther and fewer in between. Thus, we make our own. ‘Course.
May we humbly suggest that we kinda nailed it with this Thai Green Curry Chicken. If you like seafood, you’ll dig Thai Red Curry Mussels. We also (humbly) think this amazing Thai Stir Fry Noodles (Pad See Ew) is better than any takeout, ever. 😊
I’m beyond giddy for you to meet Thai Chicken Basil with Peppers. It’s busting at the seems with big, bold Thai flavors. It’s healthy and easy to boot. And here she is:
How to Make Thai Chicken Basil with Peppers:
Did you see how quick, easy, and super deeelish? ↑↑↑
It’s in fast-mo, you say. But it’s all true: you’ll be happily surprised at how quickly this Thai Basil Chicken with Peppers comes together.
A chop here, a mix there, and a quick pan dance is all it takes.
If you can swing it, we strongly recommend sticking with boneless chicken thighs for this recipe, as it will result in a much more tender bite than chicken breasts.
Don’t skimp on the garlic and basil…the more the merrier. You can often find Thai basil at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and other grocery stores. Otherwise, a quick trip to your nearest Asian supermarket (or farmer’s market) will get you a beautiful bunch of heady Thai basil.
Warning: Leftovers will result in major lunch envy the next day.
Thai Basil Chicken with Peppers
For the Sauce:
- 8 TB light or low sodium soy sauce
- 4 TB Asian oyster sauce
- 2 TB palm sugar, known for its deep caramel flavor; if you can't find it, sub with light brown sugar
- 2 tsp dry crushed red pepper
For the Chicken:
- 4-6 TB olive oil, or cooking oil of your choice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, towel-dried and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups Thai basil leaves, no stems
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Garnishes: Slivers of lime, Sriracha
- Make the Sauce: In a bowl, hand-whisk together the sauce ingredients until combined. Can be made ahead of time, covered, and chilled until ready to use.
- Cook the Dish: In a large heavy pan or wok, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Add onion and stir until translucent, 2-3 min. Add garlic and stir 1 more minute. Add chicken, stirring for 2 min or just until no longer pink in center. Add red bell peppers, stirring 2 more minutes.
- Add prepared sauce, stirring 1 minute or until heated through and fully incorporated. Turn heat off. Gently stir in the basil leaves. Serve with your choice of white or brown rice, spooning excess sauce over individual plates.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram