Easy Burrito Bowl with Perfect Rice
We’ve become quite the rice buffs around here. Many of us veer towards fragrant long-grain Jasmine rice, while our co-eaters may be partial towards a slightly stickier medium grain or short grain rice.
Generally, we shoot for variety in our rice dishes. Our pantry is perpetually stocked with every kind of rice known to woman: Jasmine, Basmati, brown, long grain, short grain, wild, really wild, not-so-wild…we’ve got it all.
We’d get blue rice if it existed (Does it? Don’t hold out on us.)
Jasmine Rice in the Spotlight
So yeah, a rice party is happening in our kitchen 24-7. We cook them all, but readily admit Jasmine rice kind of shines.
Jasmine rice has enjoyed incredible popularity in Asian cuisine, as this fragrant long-grain variety of rice is commonly grown in Thailand and is super versatile. Obviously, this delicious grain has come a long way and now has a well-earned a global reputation. It goes amazingly with any meal (chicken teriyaki, anyone?)
Check out how fluffy and perfect this Jasmine rice turned out in this burrito bowl.
Super Versatile, Just the Way You Want it
We love the Tex-Mex flavors, the veggies, the texture, and heartiness of this easy burrito bowl recipe. It’s a colorful, hearty, healthy bowl of nutrition and deliciousness all in one.
Of course, you’re always welcome to switch up your flavors and textures. Use a different colored sweet pepper, or use seeded/diced tomatoes instead. Pinto beans and chickpeas are great substitutes for black beans. If cilantro isn’t your style, try chopped chives or green onions. Add your favorite grilled chicken, steak, or shrimp to make it a meal your carnivores will applaud.
This Mexican Rice Salad allows you to use up whatever you have on hand. No waste, no extra grocery shopping trips.
P.S. Leftovers are amazing the next day.
This burrito bowl recipe makes plenty– it’s more than enough to wrap in flour tortillas for your burrito fans, or just grab spoons to dig right into those bowls.
You can also use lettuce wraps in lieu of tortillas, or do the chip-and-dip dance with your favorite crispy tortilla chips.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 2 cups cooked Jasmine rice
- 2 15 oz each cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sweet whole corn kernels, drained
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 limes, both zested and juiced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 large cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 semi-ripe avocado, chopped and sprinkled with a splash of lime juice (chop avocado just before serving)
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a large serving bowl, combine all ingredients except for avocados. Gently toss ingredients together with a rubber spatula until well incorporated. Cover and chill in fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add chopped avocados. If needed, add additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Toss gently to mix well. Serve cold or at room temp. Leftovers can be chilled in airtight container for 1-2 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
Vietnamese Style Rice Salad. Super fresh, light, and fluffy.
Easy Rice Pilaf (with or without mushrooms; you choose.)
The Basics of Making Your own Chinese Fried Rice. Pick your own choice of protein and veggies.