In This Article
Chipotle Style Chicken Burrito Bowls
My mom is a couple years shy of 70. After all these years, she still surprises me. I’m always amazed at how she tackles life with seemingly ceaseless energy despite her aches and pains.
Though decidedly old-fashioned, Mom is amazingly willing to try new things. Like trek through unknown woodsy trails after dark while fleeing mean Mosquitos. Like driving hours of windy mountain roads to go trout fishing with us. She hates fishing.
And downing humongous Chipotle burritos filled with every (yes, every) topping choice offered. We’re talking football-sized burritos that even the guy behind the counter can’t believe he’s actually wrapping up.
All of the Add-Ins
It actually was a surprise to me that Mom even liked Chipotle, given that she’s a die-hard first gen Chinese grandma who’s mainly eaten and cooked Chinese fare all her life. I have zero memories of guac filled burritos growing up.
Imagine my shock when her recent visit with us included an impromptu dinner at Chipotle one night and she eagerly devoured the biggest chicken, rice, and bean burrito any of us has ever seen.
Like I said, she got every single topping there was.
Which brings me to my own Chipotle darling.
My personal favorite Chipotle offering is the yumalicious chicken burrito bowl. I get mine outfitted with plenty of greens, black beans, corn, onions, tomatoes, and cheddar.
Happily massed with tender cilantro lime rice and tasty chicken.
It’a about time these Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls made the scene here.
Particularly in the summer when farm fresh produce is wildly popular, you may already have all the ingredients you need for your chicken burrito bowl.
These bowls are highly personalized to suit your own tastes. This is your own foodie rockfest. Go ahead and add, subtract, or modify according to what tempts your tummy. Customize it for your favorite peeps.
All of the Toppings and Garnishes
Top it with guac, sour cream, or salsa. Have extra cheeses or better yet, provide some Nacho Queso for saucing it up. Bring in the tortilla chips if you want a bit of crunch.
The cilantro-lime rice is a fantastic base for burrito bowls. I could and did eat cilantro-lime rice by the spoonful before mixing it all up into that colorfully gorgeous mess of a meal.
This is the best kind of mess. Enjoy.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls
For the Chicken:
For Cilantro-Lime Rice:
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 TB salted butter
- 2 tsp table salt
- Juice of 1 large lime, for tossing
- ⅔ cup freshly chopped cilantro, for tossing
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ cup diced bell peppers, any color
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ diced red onions
- ½ cup sweet corn kernels
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped
- Cook rice according to package instructions, adding the butter and salt into the water. Without lifting the lid, set cooked rice aside.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the chicken: In a bowl, combine the chicken with oil, lime, taco seasoning. Toss to coat and cover. Marinate about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop all the Add-In ingredients and toss them together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Grill chicken on medium high heat, about 4 min per side, depending on thickness of chicken. Cook just until center is no longer pink; don’t over-cook. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Toss and fluff rice with a fork. Add the lime juice and cilantro and toss to combine. Spoon rice into individual bowls. Top with add-ins. Add sliced grilled chicken and garnish as desired. Alternatively, put rice, chicken, add-ins, and garnishes out for a DIY burrito bowl station.
Nutrition (per serving)
Here are some other delicious Tex-Mex dishes that we think you’ll love:
- Mexican Rice with Chicken and Shrimp. Fast, easy, and flavorful. Healthy to boot.
- Best Easy Mexican Rice. It took many, many recipes to finally land on this fluffy and tasty one. You’ll say bye-bye to all boxed rice mixes.
- Cuban Rice and Beans. This is SUCH a crazy delish rice dish. Rice ‘n beans never tasted so good.
- Southwestern Barley Salad. After trying this at a restaurant, it was my immediate mission to remake it at home. It’s the perfect spring/summer dish.