Savory Pumpkin and Bacon Dip
This Savory Pumpkin and Bacon Dip is perfect for fall and holiday parties. Serve it warm with your choice of crackers and breads. Watch it disappear!
Now that the Halloween chocolate eating frenzy has (mostly) faded, it’s time for savory treats.
I actually had to speed up the goodbye, chocolate process by packing up all that temptation and sending it with Hubby to work. Somehow, he can eat just 1 a day.
I can’t keep an endless supply of baby-sized Snickers, Reese’s Cups, and Twix in the house. It’s a tummy ache waiting to happen. I’m done after 3 days’ worth of sugar overload. Never again.
Til next year.
Let’s just make something savory with our pumpkin, shall we?
Typically pumpkin is allowed to shine in sweet treats.
We do adore noshing on super moist Pumpkin Bread for breakfast and brunch. We happily scarf down batches of soft, drizzled Pumpkin Cookies when friends come over. We get ooh’s and aah’s with the New York Pumpkin Cheesecake that people proclaim better than Cheesecake Factory’s.
But it’s time to let our pumpkin do some savory work. There’s going to be a place for that in our kitchen this year, and so far it’s proving to be a fabulous idea. Considering how scrumptious pumpkin is in savory recipes, it’s a mystery why they aren’t used that way more often.
For a recent dinner party, I wanted a savory dip that hollered fall. This savory pumpkin dip is creamy, cheesy, and seasonally tempting, with the addition of pumpkin. The pumpkin blends right in, without overpowering any of the other flavors. Bacon never hurts.
This dip can be served hot or cold, but I personally prefer it hot. If you have a little fondue warmer, that works perfectly If not, a quick nuke in the m’wave is great.
I used leftover dip as a spread in our sandwiches for lunch the next day. It tastes awesome in a sandwich or a bagelwich. Just use it in lieu of mayo.
My favorite part about this dip is that it can be made ahead of time and chilled until you’re ready to reheat it for serving. Anything that alleviates day-of party stress is a huge bonus in my kitchen.
Serve with toasted slices of baguette or a variety of crackers. A little goes a long way with this delicious dip, so one batch is plenty to feed a crowd.
Savory Pumpkin and Bacon Dip
- 1 8oz regular cream cheese block, softened
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup roasted pepitas, shelled pumpkin seeds
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Microwave cream cheese in a microwavable bowl in 30 second increments until very soft. Stir in all other ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve. When ready to serve, reheat dip in microwave or in a small fondue pot. Stir again. Garnish with extra bacon and green onions, if desired. Serve warm, with crackers or breads.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from Gimme Some Oven
Here are a few of our favorite holiday dips:
- Hot Creamy, Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Dip – So ooey gooey good. Nobody dips just once.
- Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip. Kick up the party with some Sriracha. It’ll be the talk of the dips at your next party.
- Cheesecake Pumpkin Pie Dip. Tastes like cheesecake and pumpkin pie in a dip. Win-win.