Lately, I find that I keep buying semi-greenish bananas only to have them transform into overly ripe, spotted bananas in no time. This transformation happens in nothing flat under warm weather, and I’m left with brown-spotted bananas need some quick tending to. They typically get frozen or baked into something yummy. This time, they materialized in this Double Chocolate Banana Yogurt Bread.
Banana Yogurt Bread is one of our family’s favorite treats; it’s hearty and healthy for breakfast, and superbly yummy as a snack that easily satisfies a sweet tooth. My favorite Banana Yogurt Bread is my go-to, with its moist and dense texture loaded with chocolate chips. This week, I wanted to kick things around a bit and change up my banana bread routine. Chocolate is a great way to change things up, yes?
Recently, the Happy Brown Truck (aka, UPS) dropped off a tasty package at my front door. I was delighted to find some fantastic Chobani Greek Yogurt nestled in the package. Greek Yogurt is something I feed my family almost daily, and I absolutely adore cooking with it. I make this delicious Honey Yogurt Fruit Dip, Tropcial Mango Smoothie, and awesome Tandoori Chicken with the help of yogurt. I bake with it all the time. (See Very Berry Pie Bars and Blueberry Spice Breakfast Cake.) Needless to say, I was thrilled with the Chobani and started baking with it right away, starting with this Double Chocolate Banana Yogurt Bread.
This banana yogurt bread is dense, rich, moist and uber chocolatey. The ripe banana flavor comes through and melds perfectly with the chocolate. The bread has a dense and loaf-like crumb, rather than being cakey. It’s not too sweet and is a wonderfully satisfying breakfast treat. In fact, my peeps here devoured it for breakfast with their milk and coffee, and still requested it for an afternoon snack.
I personally am addicted to all those melty mini chocolate chips strewn throughout this banana bread (use minis – they get nice and melty!)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp fresh baking soda
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 2 TB unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium, overly ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (whole or low fat)
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips (try to use the minis!)
- Preheat oven to 350F and position rack at lower middle. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
- In another bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Gently mix in the beaten egg, vanilla, bananas, and yogurt to the butter/sugar mixture until well combined.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Finally, fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer batter into greased pan. Bake for about 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out almost clean.
- Cool in pan for at least 15 minutes. Carefully turn bread out onto wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from King Arthur Flour