When you live in a land where the temperature drops 30 degrees from one day to the next, you just gotta be prepared.
I mean, I literally swapped flip flops for thick socks within 24 hours. Cool tank tops were immediately exchanged for cozy hoodies. One minute, we needed, like needed, chocolate ice cream. The next day, the skies had me craving creamy chicken wild rice soup.
Around here, a drastic about-face in forecast is par for the course. I’ve learned to go with the flow and be flexible from day to day – not something I was good at when I first moved to the Twin Cities nine years ago. Noooo, not at all.
We’ve come such a long way. Now we always have both sunscreen and ponchos in the mom van. I’ve also got Mentos and Sharpies in there, but that’s not this story. Anyways. The goal is to be prepared.
Similarly, I try to have my pantry stocked with a few basics that can be tossed together anytime, regardless of what a busy weeknight tosses our way. We’ve always got some great salsa in the pantry and chicken in the freezer.
On days where we find ourselves hustling the kids to soccer and piano lessons and boy scouts after a day of working late, a few good basics in the kitchen can work wonders.
This 30-Minute, One-Pan Salsa Verde Chicken? It’s a lifesaver. Or a dinner saver, at the very least…
Like I said, this Salsa Verde Chicken needs only a few basic ingredients and one big pan.
I pretty much always keep a jar of my favorite salsa verde from Trader Joe’s at the ready. Of course, the fridge houses garlic and onions at all times because we are garlic fiends, and onions are a BFF too.
Just grab some boneless chicken thighs (way more tender than chicken breasts in this dish) and a few good spices. You’ll literally toss it all together in that big pan you pulled out. Let it cook for up to 15 minutes. Done and done.
You’ve now got a crowd-pleaser of a meal. Perfect over rice, tortillas, or chips. I’ve even laid this dish over crispy greens when feeling particularly health-nutty. However you serve it, you’re sure to love it.
You might like this, too:
30-Minute One-Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs, towel dried and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin'
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 jar, 16oz salsa verde
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Garnish: fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges
- In a large, deep skillet over medium high heat, add all ingredients. Try to submerge all pieces of chicken in the liquid of pan. Cover tightly and bring to a low boil, cooking for 12-15 minutes or just until chicken is no longer pink in center. Do not overcook.
- Gently shred the chicken. Add kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro and lime. Serve over rice, tortillas, or chips.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
If you make any of our recipes, show it off on Instagram and hashtag it #chewoutloud so we can see your awesomeness! 🙂
Kitchen Stuff We Love:
Easy Mexican Inspired Meals: