This Mexican Rice is easy, fluffy, and flavorful. It’s the perfect side dish to your favorite Mexican or Tex Mex meal. We make this often, as it takes only a handful of ingredients and 25 minutes to cook.
No worries if you don’t have time to slave away in the kitchen. The perfect rice can be had. There’s hardly any hands-on time involved here at all. The best kind of recipe, right?
This Mexican rice is so easy and delish that I have a habit of whipping up a huge double batch of it so we have it to enjoy for a few days. It does keep well and reheats beautifully.
This simple recipe is made from just a handful of ingredients, with chicken broth as its base.
It’s really hard to mess up this dish. The only thing you have to be awake for is measuring the liquid to rice ratio. That component has to be in synch for the rice to turn out fluffy yet moist and tender.
Everything gets tossed into one big pot, you walk away, and the magic happens in 25 minutes.
It’s kind of hard not to peek, I know. But you just can’t. No peeking during cook time. Just let the rice cook and soak in all the aromatic goodness. And let it rest, untouched, just for a short while after it finishes cooking.
You’ll be well rewarded for all that willpower.
We serve this with a splash of lime, and it is simply addictive. This rice is a delicious accompaniment to just about anything, and it’s also super healthy.
So you can scoop big scoops of Mexican Rice onto your plate, guilt-free.
We then had Mexican rice at a popular restaurant shortly after we made this at home. We instantly agreed that homemade is infinitely better. Hands down.
This Mexican Rice is super easy, flavorful, tender, and fluffy all at the same time. Only a few ingredients and 25 minutes of cooking time is all it takes. No peeking while the rice cooks. Perfect accompaniment to all your favorite Mexican dishes.
- 3 TB olive or canola oil
- half of an onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup chunky salsa (spice level is up to you)
- 2 cups regular chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- fresh slices of lime for garnish
- In a large pan (or pot) heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, stirring and cooking until tender but not burnt. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in salsa and mix well. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid has been fully absorbed. Do not lift cover. Turn heat off and let rice rest, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff with fork, and add salt/pepper to taste. Serve with cilantro and lime.
Source: Chew Out Loud
We also adore this Mexican Pasta Bake, which is delicious and quick for any weeknight. An easy Monday night meal when you want something different.
We just had these homemade Carnitas last week, and I’m still salivating over it. The entire fam loved this one, including all the kids. Fork tender, full of flavor, and so much better than most restaurant versions. Coming from a die-hard Carnitas eater.