Poke around here for half a minute and you’ll quickly discover The Brunch Bunch. I can’t even look at this Enchilada Breakfast Casserole, these Fluffy Belgian Waffles, or that Eggs Benedict Bake without igniting The Crave. We are weak in the knees for brunch.
I might be the ringleader of the Breakfast Bake Posse, but there’s zero arm twisting needed to gather up a hungry morning mob. The people roll in all on their own.
Brunch is boss. It’s my favorite way to start the weekend. And when everyone wakes up to a luscious Mexican Breakfast Potato Bake with big bold flavors, get your tummy (and feet) ready for a sunrise salsa…
This Mexican Breakfast Potato Bake is teeming with the goodness of hash browns, chorizo, a carton of eggs (literally,) and tempting spices. Plus salsa and cheese. Oodles of spunky salsa and melty cheese.
One of my Littles is our taco king and devours anything with a Mexican flair in a nanosecond. He fights fiercely for more than his share of this daybreak casserole.
The best part about breakfast casseroles is that they’re a snap to slap together. It’s a painless, uncomplicated tossing together of all the good stuff into one big baking dish.
Combine it, bake it, eat it. Who doesn’t like that?
Here’s an invitation to starting your own Brunch Bunch.
Get your salsa on.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Mexican Breakfast Potato Bake
- 1 lb chorizo, cooked and crumbled (Mexican spicy sausage, no casings)
- 30 oz plain hash browns, frozen or refrigerated
- 1 ½ cup Mexican blend or taco blend shredded cheese, cheddar jack, if you can't find those
- 2 cups chunky salsa, don't drain
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Optional Garnish: thinly sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes, and extra salsa to serve
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cheese and set it aside. In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate well. Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top evenly with reserved 1/2 cup cheese. Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until cheese is bubbly and top is golden brown (if top starts browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil.) Garnish as desired. Serve while warm, with extra salsa if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
Source: Chew Out Loud
How we became The Brunch Bunch:
- Enchilada Breakfast Bake. If you make this, you’ll get recipe requests. That’s just how this one works.
2. Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake. Ditto here. Recipe requests are sure to follow you.
- Hash Brown Tomato Breakfast Casserole. One of our personal favorites for breakfast OR dinner.
4. Crack Breakfast Potatoes. It’s called crack for a reason.