It’s been heating up in mid-July, and the time is ripe for S’mores galore. No worries if you don’t happen to have a campfire going when a crazy craving hits. With these S’mores Double Chocolate Cookie Bars, you can satisfy that marshmallow-chocolate-graham cracker yearning any time of day. If these S’mores Cookie Bars don’t captivate your sweet tooth, nothing else will.
So I suddenly couldn’t stop fixating about where the idea for S’mores came from. Wikipedia said the first recorded version of the recipe was found in a Girl Scouts publication back in 1927. Way to go, Girls! And, I found out national S’mores day is coming up 🙂 Of course we already knew S’mores is a cute contraction for some more. As in, we want more. Because who can take just one bite?
Now we’ve done it. Gone and made the classic S’more into an uber decadent, rich, luscious dessert bar. This is like Disneyland for S’mores lovers. These S’mores Cookie Bars are chewy, soft, and dense. The graham cracker crumb crust is generously covered with a rich chocolate chip cookie dough. Followed by a canopy of gooey, melty marshmallows lightly toasted to perfection. Then the entire thing is crowned with a happy drizzle of none other than Hershey’s milk chocolate.
Mmm. No words left to say. Except that these S’mores cookie bars were so great that we absolutely needed to share them with friends tonight so we wouldn’t inhale these for dinner. Oh, yes – they do keep well refrigerated and covered, and are much easier to cut when chilled.
Ok. Go enjoy some more S’mores 🙂Print
These dessert bars are the ultimate for S’mores lovers everywhere.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6 TB salted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, slightly softened
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 cup semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 (1.5 oz) milk chocolate Hershey’ Bar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 8×8 baking pan with foil, using two perpendicular sheets so there is an overhang for a “sling” for easy removal.
- In a bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter, mixing well until mixture resembles wet sand. Press evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan, and set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine slightly softened butter with both sugars. Mix until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla extract, mixing just until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together well. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, and mix just until incorporated; do not over-mix.
- Using rubber spatula, fold chocolate chips in evenly into dough. Dough may be sticky. Spread dough evenly over graham cracker crust in pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with mini marshmallows and continue baking for about 10 more minutes or just until marshmallows start looking lightly toasted on top.
- Cool on wire rack until reaches room temp. Melt Hershey’s bar and drizzle over top of dessert (I use a Ziploc baggie with tiny bit of tip cut off.) Chill in fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, use foil sling to remove entire dessert onto cutting board. Using long serrated bread knife, firmly press straight down into dessert to cut into bars.
Source: Chew Out Loud, inspired by Chocolate Chocolate and More