Favorite Sloppy Joes
Ever encounter crazy weekdays that call for simple yet fool-proof meals your family will happily run to the dinner table for? Say hello to the sloppy joes we keep going back to again and again.
Why you’ll love these sloppy joes:
- You only need simple pantry ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand.
- Both lean ground beef and ground turkey work amazingly well in this recipe.
- It can be made in advance for weekly meal prep.
- It’s ideal for gatherings and parties, as you can easily double the recipe to feed a crowd.
- This sloppy joe recipe is a one-pan deal. SO easy and minimal effort.
Watch Us Make Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes: meal prep and Freezer Friendly
These tasty sloppy joes are destined to be a go-to recipe for busy weeknights. You can meal prep this recipe in 2 easy ways:
- Fully prepare and cook sloppy joes according to instructions below, except for shredded cheese and buns. Divide into freezer-friendly containers and defrost as needed throughout the week.
- Or, prep the ingredients for sloppy joes the night before, up until the point of cooking. Place entire pan of combined ingredients in fridge and place it on the stovetop to cook when you’re ready.
- For the Freezer: cooked sloppy joes, minus the buns, can be frozen in airtight freezer containers for several weeks. Thaw in fridge overnight and use either microwave or stovetop to reheat.
More to cook and eat
- Tex Mex Sloppy Joes: try this Mexican-inspired version for a fun twist on the classic original.
- Carnitas Burrito Bowl: carnitas can be made in advance for meal prep for the week.
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe: super easy and low effort for an amazingly creamy, delicious meal the family will love.
- Easy Tamale Pie (Skillet or Cast Iron Technique): also known as cornbread chili casserole, this winning combination is destined to make its way into regular dinner rotation.
commonly asked questions
They’re sometimes referred to interchangeably, but Manwhich is simply a brand name for the canned, store-bought version of sloppy joes. Of course, homemade sloppy joes are much better than canned versions.
Sloppy joes are definitely much healthier when homemade! In our recipe, we use lean ground turkey or beef, plenty of chopped veggies/herbs, and less sugar than other versions. Use whole grain buns to up the nutritional value.
Yes. We suggest dividing cooked sloppy joes into freezer-friendly containers (minus the cheese and buns.) Just defrost as needed throughout the week.
You can absolutely use ground turkey for sloppy joes, with great results.
Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 TB olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 TB mustard
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Buns for serving
- Brown: In a large pan, brown meat with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper over medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- Combine and Cook: In same pan over medium heat, stir together olive oil, onion, green pepper, garlic, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp black pepper until veggies are soft. Drain liquids. Add back the browned meat to pan.
- Simmer: Stir in mustard, ketchup, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Stir to incorporate well. Bring to simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes, tightly covered.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram