This Easy Tamale Pie comes together quickly for any busy weeknight. Golden delicious cornbread is baked right on top of a satisfying layer of beef chili. It’s a family favorite!
easy tamale pie in a Skillet
When the urge for a cozy bowl of comforting chili and golden cornbread hits, there’s nothing quite like a fabulous tamale pie to satisfy that craving.
What’s tamale pie, you may ask? It’s nothing short of a weeknight dinner lifesaver. It’s a cornbread chili casserole, made extra easy with our one-skillet cooking. method.
The virtues of this tamale pie are plentiful:
- It’s easy and quick, taking less than an hour from start to finish
- No need to cook and transfer anything into a casserole dish; everything is done in the same large pan, cast iron, or skillet
- There are only 10 basic ingredients needed
- It’s a all-in-one meal deal, with protein, carbs, and veggies all taken care of
How to make tamale pie
- Simply stir together some onions, garlic, olive oil, and chili powder. It might seem like a lot of chili powder, but after all is said and done, it’s just the right amount of little kick. Just enough to taste the zing, but not overly so.
- Don’t skimp on the garlic. Garlic makes everything better. And it’s a super food.
- Add in diced tomatoes, black beans, and lean ground beef to the aromatics already sizzling in the skillet.
- Stir in the shredded cheese. Cheddar, monterey-jack, or Mexican blend cheese all work well here. Now a good time to season with kosher salt and add more chili powder if you prefer more kick.
- Stir all that goodness together until nice and hot. Smooth beef mixture in an even layer, as you’ll want an evenly thick layer of cornbread on top.
- Keeping with the easy and quick dinner theme, feel free to use your favorite cornbread mix, as long as the package is about 15 oz.
- If you don’t mind making your own cornbread batter from scratch, this one is truly unbeatable.
Common Questions and ANswers
You can use your favorite brand of dry cornbread mix, and prepare it according to the package instructions; rather than bake it by itself, you’ll bake it on top of the beef chili mixture. Your box or package of dry cornbread mix should be about 15 oz.
Yes, you can sub the ground beef with lean ground turkey, chicken, or pork. You can even make it meatless by adding an extra variety of beans or using plant based ground “meat.”
This dish does reheat very well. Be sure to store leftovers in an airtight container to retain moisture. For best results, reheat in an oven-safe container, covered, for about 10 minutes at 350F.
More to cook and eat
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe (Gluten-free) – this one gets requests all the time from friends and family. It’s perfect for weekend brunch or breakfast-for-dinner!
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Rice – this gluten-free recipe is as easy as it is delicious; your family will quickly gobble this up.
- Avocado Black Bean Corn Salad with Lime Dressing – we love taking this to all the gatherings and potlucks, as it can be made in advance and always gets devoured.