These aren’t your everyday sloppy joes. These Tex Mex Sloppy Joes are teeming with complex flavors, slight smokiness, and just the right amount of kick. Perfect for weekend gatherings or just weeknight meals made easy.
So yesterday I shared these super fun Funfetti Pancakes to celebrate the month of June. If you missed those cuties, it’s highly recommended to go check them out. Especially since there’s no cake mix in them.
Then come back here for the main dish. I just love this time of year. The beginning of summer just makes me feel bright, because the warmth allows for my favorite shoes in the closet: flip flops.
Plus, June means a big shout out to dads, grads, and BBQ season! If you’re still in semi-limbo about the menu for your Dad Party, Grad Party, or Just-Because-it’s-Summer Party, fear not.
Tex Mex Sloppy Joes are here and will earn many repeat appearances…
The grownups and Littles in our home simply adore sloppy joes. I regularly dish up their Favorite Hearty Sloppy Joes for dinner. When those hit the table, the party is on. Complete with cartwheels, whoo-hoo’ing, and high fives.
I pinky promise you won’t be sorry if you make those sloppy joes.
However, I recently got the hankering to amp up my sloppy joes with some heat and southwestern flair.
These Tex Mex Sloppy Joes are easily made in a large skillet or pot. Just like your usual sloppy joes.
I probably won’t ever bother with the slow cooker with these guys, because seriously – these only take less than an hour, from chopping block to table.
The fun part of these sloppy joes is the limitless creativity one can execute with toppings! Guacamole, salsa, queso fresco, jalapenos, or cilantro… bring on the flair of your choice.
Break out a bag of corn chips, or better yet, Fritos.
It’ll be a kickin’ meal that everyone will happily devour.
Tex Mex Sloppy Joes are smoky, flavorful, and simple. They’re bright, zesty, festive, and kicky.
They’re a hit at any gathering, and you can easily make a big batch to feed a crowd. Let fun begin! Enjoy 🙂Print
These are a mouthwatering spin on the classic sloppy joe. Tex Mex Style! Smoky, complex flavors, yet simple to make. Takes under an hour from start to finish. Perfect for feeding a crowd.
- 2 lbs ground turkey (or beef)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- olive or canola oil for cooking
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, carefully seeded and finely diced (wear gloves)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 TB oregano
- 3 tsp smoked paprika (must be smoked for great flavor)
- 2 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 TB freshly squeezed lime juice
- Toppings: salsa, guacamole, cilantro, jalapenos, queso fresco (Mexican cheese)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm up 1-2 TB oil. Add ground meat and sprinkle the surface generously with kosher salt, pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder. Stir to combine well and cook until cooked through. Transfer to another dish and set aside.
- Warm up another 2-3 TB oil in same skillet. Add onions, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Stir and cook 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, broth, tomato sauce, oregano, paprika, Worcestershire, and ketchup. Stir to combine well. Add the cooked ground meat back in. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and cayenne to taste. Just before serving, add in the lime juice.
- Serve with toppings of choice and corn chips.
Or if you prefer chicken, we’ve got you covered with this BBQ Pulled Chicken; so easy and deeelish!