In This Article
- Watch This Recipe in Action
- Why You’ll Love This Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- Pro-Tips to Make Extra Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- All About the Sauce
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Common Questions
- More to Bake and Eat
- Also Try Air Fryer Chicken Wings – Extra Crispy
- Did you make this?
- Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
Watch This Recipe in Action
Why You’ll Love This Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- They’re the perfect balance of crisp and saucy textures with sweet and spicy flavors.
- One batch makes 6 servings and stores well, meaning you can enjoy leftovers the next day if you’re lucky enough to have any.
- Made with simple spices and pantry staple ingredients, these wings are a tasty budget-friendly option.
- Baked instead of fried, they’re high-protein and healthier than most restaurant or store-bought options.
- A crowd-pleasing recipe, they’re perfect for Super Bowl parties, appetizers, weeknight meals, and everything in between.
Pro-Tips to Make Extra Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
This oven baked chicken wings recipe is super easy to make. However, we have a few extra tips to ensure they’re extra crispy and unbelievably delicious every time you bake them.
- Pat the Chicken Dry. Be sure to pat your chicken wings dry with a paper towel before tossing them in the seasoning. The less moisture left in the skin, the crispier they’ll be!
- Use a Wire Rack. If you can, arrange your wings on a lifted wire rack instead of flat on a sheet pan. This will allow the air to circulate all around, helping them crisp up.
- Bake in a Single Layer. Make sure not to overcrowd your wings, leaving space between them on the baking sheet. Otherwise, they’re likely to cook unevenly.
- Use High Heat. Baking at the correct oven temperature of 400 degrees F allows the wings to cook quickly, helping the skin get extra crispy without drying out the meat.
All About the Sauce
The secret to taking this crispy baked chicken wings recipe to the next level is the honey Sriracha sauce! A delectable combination of honey, Sriracha, soy sauce, butter, and lime, this sauce is ridiculously flavorful. It’s poured over the wings once they’re baked for extra flavor. Feel free to adjust the amount of heat used to suit your flavor preferences.
Chicken Wings – Popular Flavor Variations
- Lemon Pepper – Omit the sauce completely, and swap out the spice rub with lemon pepper seasoning instead.
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning – Create a dry rub with this popular storebought blend.
- Buffalo Sauce – Coat your wings in your buffalo sauce if you prefer more heat.
- Barbecue Sauce – If you aren’t a fan of spice, barbecue makes for a tasty alternative.
- Ranch – Coat your wings with Ranch seasoning, dipping sauce, or both.
These baked chicken wings make great appetizers or snacks. However, if you want to serve them as a main course, try pairing them with sides like:
How to Store Oven Baked Chicken Wings
As with all crispy chicken wings, these are best served right away. However, if you have leftovers or want to prepare them in advance, they can be stored in the fridge or freezer. For the best results, we recommend keeping the sauce separate until just before serving.
- Refrigerator: Once cooled, wings can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Place your wings in a freezer-safe container, and keep them frozen for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat: To enjoy, let your wings thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, heat them up in the oven or air fryer the next day to re-crisp them.
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Common Questions
400 degrees works best to achieve an extra crisp texture. Wings can be baked at 350 degrees, but they won’t be quite as crisp.
No, covering the wings will steam them, preventing them from getting brown and crisp.
We toss the wings in the Honey Sriracha sauce after they’ve been cooked. This allows the skin to become crisp and absorb the sauce for the best blend of tastes and textures.
For this recipe, we bake our wings for 45-50 minutes. However, every oven is different. So, be sure to keep an eye on your wings as they bake, and remove them as soon as they’re golden brown and crisp.
More to Bake and Eat
- Dad’s Asian Chicken Wings – Season these wings in one pot, braise them for an hour, and watch them disappear right before your eyes.
- Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings – Baked instead of fried and made with a few secret ingredients, these wings are guaranteed to leave you coming back for more.
- Tandoori Chicken – Flavor-packed and fork-tender, this homemade tandoori chicken is even better than your favorite restaurant’s version.
- Baked Honey Soy Chicken – A low-effort dinner, this easy recipe is guaranteed to become a weeknight staple.
- Sweet & Spicy Glazed Chicken Skewers – Cooked in 25 minutes, these mouthwatering skewers are perfect for any get-together.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Baked Chicken Wings
For the Wings:
- Preheat oven to 400F, and place rack on the upper middle position. Line a large baking sheet with foil, and grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using dry paper towels, pat the wings dry. This step is important to ensure crispy wings.
- In a bowl, combine the oil, butter, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Place the wings in the bowl, and toss to combine, coating thoroughly.
- Place the wings in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Do not over-crowd. Bake 45-50 minutes or until they are browned and crisp.
- While the wings are baking, prepare the sauce. Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add the rest of the ingredients, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to bubble. Immediately remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Transfer the wings to a large bowl, and pour the sauce on top. Toss to coat.
- Garnish with lime wedges, if desired. Serve immediately.