These Air Fryer French Fries are fresh, crispy, and healthy. Here are the secrets for making extra crispy, flavorful French fries using only 3 basic ingredients.
Air Fryer French Fries
Guilt-free fried food? Yes, please. You don’t have to choose between greasy, deep fried French fries vs. no fries at all. It’s absolutely not an all or none predicament. It’s possible to enjoy golden, crispy, delicious French fries you feel great about.
Once you’ve tried these air fryer French fries, you’ll discover a whole new world:
- These air fryer fries are surprisingly healthy, with only 2 tablespoons of oil
- By oil, we mean extra virgin olive oil
- You can use organic potatoes
- These fries cook up wonderfully golden and crispy
- You can season your fries exactly the way you’d like
How to make extra crispy fries in an air fryer
There are a few tricks to achieving French fries that are both healthy and crispy, using an air fryer:
- Use a sharp knife or mandolin to slice potatoes into even slices.
- Thinner fries will naturally cook up crispier than thicker ones – we recommend slicing them on the thin side.
- Immediately after slicing, submerge potatoes in cool water. The soaking removes excess starch from the potatoes, which helps them crisp up.
- Fully pat-dry potatoes after soaking. This step is important not only for crispness, but also for seasonings to adhere. I use absorbent flour sack cotton cloths.
- Arrange potato slices in an even, single layer on the rack of your air fryer. Hot air needs to circulate around fries, so don’t overcrowd.
- As always, you’ll enjoy the crispiest French fries when served immediately.
Choose your flavors
We all know French fries are irresistible with just a sprinkle of salt. That said, here are delicious options for your homemade fries experience:
- Freshly ground black pepper or cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Any variety of dried herbs
- Paprika or Smoked paprika
- Old Bay seasoning
- Ranch seasoning
Reheating French Fries
- As unlikely as leftover fries are, it’s easy to reheat them in your air fryer.
- If needed, dab away any excess moisture on fries.
- Place fries in an even, single layer in basket of air fryer at about 350F, for 3-5 minutes.
Common questions and answers
Q: Which type of potatoes are best for French fries?
A: Russet potatoes are ideal for French fries, as they’re high in starch and low in moisture, which enables them to crisp up nicely.
Q: Do I have to preheat my air fryer?
A: Because air fryers are much smaller than typical ovens, they heat up quickly and do not require preheating. We’ve always had great results without preheating, which is consistent with general consensus for most air fryers.
Q: Why do I have to soak the sliced potatoes?
A: Soaking helps to draw out some of the starch from the surface, which helps with browning evenly. Don’t forget to rinse after soaking.
More to Cook and Eat
- Instant Pot Baby Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Lemon (How to roast potatoes perfectly)
- Panko Mozzarella Sticks
- Crispy Toasted Ravioli Recipe
- Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Broccoli