Poppy Seed Bread
This poppy seed bread is supremely moist and buttery, with a rich texture similar to pound cake. It’s worth every single bite.
I literally made three (yeah, three) different loaves of poppy seed bread in order to be sure I’m dishing up the BEST one. I like to post recipes that are worth the calories.
The first couple of poppy seed loaves were pretty good. Yummy enough to get eaten up quickly by everyone who taste-tested.
But the third time’s the real charm. This one was SUCH a home-run.
It’s hard to refrain from licking the screen.
This decadent poppy seed bread is luscious, moist, and rich. It boasts a dense yet tender crumb.
In fact, this loaf is reminiscent of a buttery pound cake, similar to this absolute best recipe for Butter Pound Cake.
Once you slice into this tempting poppy seed bread-slash-cake, a generous burst of poppy seeds immediately greet you.
The mouthwatering, heady aroma of pure almond extract wafts through the air and awakens your appetite.
But this poppy seed bread is not content to stop at being buttery, moist, and tender.
No, this one goes all out and gets outrageously scrumptious with a glaze that seeps into the bread just enough and creates a crispy layer on top.
This outstanding glaze is a perfect marriage of orange, almond, vanilla, and butter.
All those delicious flavors infuse into one intoxicating glaze. They all meld together as if this was always meant to be.
You’re very, very welcome. Enjoy. 🙂
Moist, Buttery Poppy Seed Bread
For the Bread:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp table salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ⅓ cups olive oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 3 TB poppy seeds
- 2 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp butter flavor extract, recommended
For the Glaze:
- 2 TB orange juice
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp butter flavor extract
- 1 ½ to 2 cups powder sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F, with rack on lower middle. Generously grease and flour bottoms and sides of two glass or foil loaf pans (if using darker metal pan, lessen baking time.)
- In large bowl of stand mixer, combine all bread ingredients. Using paddle attachment, mix at medium speed until batter is fully incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of bowl, and evenly distribute batter into prepared pans. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few tender crumbs attached (not completely clean.) Take care not to over bake.
- Meanwhile, combine all glaze ingredients in a bowl and mix in the necessary amount of powder sugar for desired glaze consistency.
- When bread finishes baking, let rest on a wire rack in the pans for about 5 minutes. Poke holes over top of bread with a fork. Carefully remove bread from pans, place on plate, and drizzle glaze over warm bread.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram