Is anyone else in disbelief that the Fourth of July is already upon us? In these midwestern parts, it seems to have jumped straight from winter’s end to Independence Day. The kids are beyond ecstatic that tomorrow is the day they get to stay up waayy past dark. All bright eyed, and mesmerized under the night sky ablaze with vibrant fireworks. We’ll pay for it the following morning, but we gotta live life on the edge once in awhile 😉
Like countless others, we’ll be firing up the grill and everything else that comes with an outdoor BBQ splurge. With the welcome sunshine comes the motivation of cooking our grub mostly sans oven. We plan on pulling out the Brown Sugar Baked Beans and maybe our favorite Red Potato Salad Ranch Salad without mayo!
This Smoky BBQ Pulled Chicken is one of my favorite ways to add to the cookout feast. No oven and no competing for grill space. This pulled chicken, like our no-fail Perfect Pulled Pork, is fully done up in the slow cooker. Yes. It could not be easier. Toss it all in your slow cooker, let it go carefree, and voila! You’re rewarded with the most flavorful, tender, juicy, and barbeque-y pulled chicken. Chicken that’s sweet, savory, tangy, and smoky. On the bun, in a salad, or in a wrap. This stuff is awesome.
I love foods like this. Super delicious, crowd pleasing, and incredibly easy. I actually prep mine the night before, and just turn the slow cooker on the next morning. I can focus on other things (i.e., the grill) and just a few hours later, we’ve got a mouthwatering dish of pulled chicken, hot and ready to serve up. Does it get better than that? We think you’ll love this Smoky BBQ Pulled Chicken. It’s perfect for all those summer BBQ cookouts.
Happy 4th of July, Everyone!
This slow cooker recipe results in superbly tender, juicy, and succulent pulled chicken with just the right amount of smoky flavor.
- 4 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs (breasts can be mixed with thighs, but thighs turn out more tender)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt (fine)
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 TB packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 TB worcestershire sauce
- 2+ cups Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ Sauce (my favorite choice; brand of sauce matters!)
- 1 – 1.5 TB liquid smoke
- Buns or sandwich rolls to serve
- Pickles to serve
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a bowl. Mix sauce ingredients well. Sauce can be made well ahead of time and kept in fridge. Thoroughly dry chicken pieces with paper towels. Combine chicken with sauce and place in slow cooker.
- Cook on high about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Carefully remove chicken from slow cooker with tongs. Keep slow cooker lid on and keep sauce warm. Pull chicken apart/shred with forks. Return shredded chicken into slow cooker. Toss well to make sure chicken is fully coated in sauce. At this point, add bit more BBQ sauce if needed. Cook on high another 30-45 minutes. Turn down to warm setting, and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Toast buns or sandwich rolls and serve with pickles, if desired.
Source: Chew Out Loud