Want to twist up the old burger routine this summer? Look no further. This recipe for Mexican Cheeseburgers is going to knock your taste buds off in the most mouthwatering way.
After a relatively cool spring here in the Twin Cities, we’re just starting to get our grill out of hibernation. The charcoal’s been tapped back for a season of summer revival.
And that means burgers. I recently shared this classic BLT with Roasted Garlic Mayo. If you haven’t done a roasted garlic, don’t lose another day.
The Littles have been begging for more burger nights. Rather than succumb to the drive through, we grilled up these spunky Mexican Cheeseburgers.
This is far from an ordinary burger. One bite and you’ll wonder where this has been all your life…
Sometimes we gotta go outside the box. We’re spicing up these burgers. If you’re heat-shy, go with mild salsa.
All that flavor is worked into the beef, ensuring that every single bite is juicy and savory.
Even the cheese gets molded into the patties, for scrumptious oomph. We reserve more queso for the topping as well.
By the way, I initially balked at the idea of cornmeal in the burgers. But trust and go for it. It helps keep the patties tender. I add an egg into the mixture to help everything bind together; it prevents your patties from splitting up on the grill.
It won’t taste anything like meatloaf. Pinky promise.
Grill those heaping burgers to perfection. They’ll be glistening and bursting and sooo tempting. People will want to sneak these right off the grill as soon as you turn your back.
And then there are the toppings…
The toppings. Yuuuummmm. Almost as fabulous as the burgers themselves.
Recommended: fresh guacamole, more cheese, grilled onions, fresh salsa, fresh tomatoes, crispy lettuce…go wild.Print
These Mexican Cheeseburgers are supremely packed with big and bold flavors. The flavor is in the meat, so every bite is savory and delicious. Serve with plenty of toppings such as guacamole, salsa, onions, and extra cheese. (Don’t skip the cornmeal, which provides tenderness.)
- 1 1/4 lb lean ground beef (I use 90%)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup chunky (not runny) salsa
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 TB canned diced green chilies, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Toppings: Fresh guacamole, grilled onions, cheddar cheese slices, tomatoes, lettuce, extra salsa
- In a large bowl, using wooden spatula, mix all ingredients together (take care not to over handle.)
- Shape into 4 or 6 patties; grill to desired doneness. Medium is recommended.
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from food.com
Here are my favorites for the grill season…enjoy these!
1. Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger. I’ve showcased these before, but I’d tout them every single day if I could. These are hands-down the very best burgers that have ever graced out tastebuds.
2. Cabernet Burgers with Blue Cheese. Cabs, blue, and beef…they just go together. What’s better than wrapping it all up into one delectable burger?
3. Easy Ranch Potato Salad. I never was a potato salad fan. Until I started making these Ranch potatoes. My non-potato salad eating friends say the same thing.
4. It’s not a burger, but as long as you have the grill going, slap on some of this incredible Chicken Teriyaki. Trust us on this one.