Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Years ago, a group of us started doing regular lunch dates at local restaurants close to work. We’d meet for much-needed cathartic community exhaling. And soup. We were diligent about loading up on hot, comforting bowls of soup. Sometimes these Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies were involved.
Everyone’s favorite soup of choice was always the Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup.
The world has changed since those lunch-group years, but one thing has stayed the same: everyone is still crazy for creamy chicken wild rice soup.
These days, we make this comforting soup at home whenever the craving hits. If gluten-free eaters are involved in our soup party, this recipe is here to deliver. Because nobody should have to sit out this ultra-satisfying soup.
Key Pantry Ingredients for amazing texture and flavor
- Start out with really good chicken broth, preferably bone broth or your own homemade broth, for best flavor. A good quality bone broth can make a significant difference.
- There is flexibility in the kind of mushrooms you can use; we love the versatility of fresh button mushrooms, but you can use your favorite variety.
- A bit of chicken bouillon adds a powerful punch of flavor to the soup. We like Better Than Bouillon, as it’s made from chicken/chicken stock, and also has less sodium.
- Cooked wild rice blend – any blend will work. Our favorite is Lundberg wild rice blend. It has a wonderfully hearty and nutty flavor.
time saving tips
- If you don’t already frequently use rotisserie chicken in your cooking, it’s time to start. Buy cold rotisserie chicken from the store (often cheaper than hot chicken) and shred the meat. Shredded rotisserie chicken can be frozen airtight for up to several weeks. Use it in everything from 30-Minute Nacho Chicken Soup to Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Rice.
- You can either chop fresh onion, carrots, and celery or you can use pre-cut mirepoix that’s often available at major grocery stores (a good option if you’re short on time.)
Thicken with Cornstarch instead of flour
One of the most popular ways to thicken soup is through the roux.
Flour and butter get whisked like nobody’s business in a hot pan and tossed into the soup for a bit of thickening magic. After exploring GF thickener alternatives, it was cornstarch that nailed it.
Gluten-free flour often has a grainy texture or flavor, but not so with cornstarch. Plus, you probably already have cornstarch in your kitchen.
More to Cook and Eat
- Stuffed Pepper Soup (Freezer Friendly) – enjoy the flavors of stuffed peppers in this cozy, healthy soup that’s easy to make ahead.
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe [Gluten-free] – this cream, flavorful soup is even better than restaurant versions.
- Chicken Kale White Bean Soup Recipe – this comforting soup is healthy, packed with protein, and perfect for chilly evenings.
- Easy Lemon Lentil Soup Recipe – this soup is popular with vegetarians, yet nobody will miss the meat, as the lentils make this soup extra fulfilling.
- Today’s creamy chicken wild rice soup is part of our Best Cozy Soup Recipes collection.
Add cooked rice at the end, just enough to heat through. You don’t want to cook it any longer than that, as it will start to break down if cooked too long. Wild rice is more forgiving and works well in soups.
Yes the rice must be cooked according to package instructions prior to adding to soup. If you try to add uncooked rice to soups, it will soak up all the liquid and will not result in the right texture.
We love crusty breads and hearty crackers, including gluten-free options, to soak up all the goodness. This Strawberry Avocado Salad is a deliciously healthy sidekick, too.
Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup (Gluten-Free)
- 7 cups quality chicken bone broth, divided
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon or Better than Bouillon
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups cooked wild rice blend
- 2 cups cooked/shredded chicken, rotisserie works great
- ¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ½ TB cornstarch, fully dissolved in 2 TB water*
- 1 cup half and half
- Simmer:In a large Dutch oven or heavy stockpot, combine chicken broth, mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, bouillon, black pepper, thyme, and garlic powder. Stir to combine well and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Make Roux: In a small saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Whisk in fully-dissolved cornstarch well, until smooth. Pour mixture into the stockpot of soup, stirring. Bring it back to a boil and stir for a few minutes or just until slightly thickened. Carefully whisk in the milk and additional 1 cup of broth.
- Finish Cooking: Gently add in the cooked wild rice blend. Add the cooked shredded chicken. Simmer just to heat through and remove from heat after soup is heated through - don't keep cooking the rice or it will start to break down. Serve hot, with gluten-free bread or crackers.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram