This delicious Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup is made gluten-free so everyone can enjoy a heaping bowl of comfort soup.
A couple years ago, a group of us started doing regular lunch dates at a local restaurant. We’d meet there for much-needed cathartic community exhaling. And soup. Plenty of hot, comforting bowls of soup [with rustic bread for sure.]
The group fave was a Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup we devoured while talking faith, life, and Spanx. Not in that order.
Nowadays, I make this lighter version of Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup that allows for triple servings because there’s no trace of heavy cream 🙂
This year when I was asked to make an army-sized batch of Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup for an event, I changed it up and got all gluten-free with it. Because nobody should have to sit out this soup…
One of the most popular ways to thicken soup is through the roux.
Flour and butter get whisked like nobody’s business in a hot pan and tossed into the soup for a bit of thickening magic. After exploring GF thickener alternatives, it was cornstarch that nailed it.
GF flour often has a grainy texture or flavor, but not so with cornstarch. And pretty much everyone already has it in their kitchen.
This Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup is ultra creamy, teeming with flavor, and loaded with all the good stuff.
We think you guys will be instantly hooked, GF or not.
Time to get your soup on.Print
This delicious Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup is made gluten-free so everyone can enjoy a heaping, ultra-comforting bowl.
- 48 oz regular chicken broth, plus 1 additional cup for later
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups cooked wild rice blend
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie works great)
- ¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 2 1/2 TB cornstarch, dissolved in 2 TB water
- 1 cup half and half
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy stockpot, combine chicken broth, mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, bouillon, black pepper, thyme, and garlic powder. Stir to combine well and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Whisk in dissolved cornstarch well, until smooth. Pour mixture into the stockpot of soup, stirring. Bring it back to a boil and stir for a few minutes or just until slightly thickened. Carefully whisk in the milk and additional 1 cup of broth. Gently add in the cooked wild rice blend. Add the cooked, shredded chicken. Simmer just to heat through and remove from heat after soup is heated through (you don’t want to keep cooking the rice or it will start to break down.)
- Serve hot, with crusty bread.
Source: Chew Out Loud
More Soup, Please: