This Creamy Lemon Chicken features the most tasty lemon dill sauce that brings deliciously bright flavors to this light chicken recipe. The best part? You can have it on the dinner table in 20 minutes!
In This Article
Video: Watch Us Make This Recipe
Why This Recipe Stands Out
If you’re looking for a delicious chicken dish that’s a cut above the rest, look no further than this recipe. The flavors are bold, the chicken is tender, and the creamy lemon sauce is simply to die for. Here’s why this recipe is a keeper:
- Quick: The cooking process is quick and straightforward, perfect for busy weeknights. You can have it ready in just 20 minutes!
- Easy Flavorful Sauce: The lemon dill sauce is easy to make and comes together in minutes, like our Lemon Garlic Swordfish recipe.
- Year-round: The ingredients for this dish are available year-round, so you can enjoy it any time just like our other easy lemon recipes!
- Simple: This recipe uses simple, readily available ingredients, making it easy to prepare.
- Crowd-Pleaser: The creamy, tangy flavors of this dish are guaranteed to please a crowd, making it the perfect recipe for gatherings.
Key Recipe Ingredients
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – The star of our dish, these chicken breasts are lean and tender and absorb the flavors of the spices and lemon sauce beautifully.
- Lemon Sauce – The tangy and creamy lemon sauce, made with chicken broth, milk, and freshly squeezed lemon juice, adds a refreshing zestiness that perfectly complements the seasoned chicken.
- Salted Butter – A touch of salt in the butter enhances the flavors of the lemon sauce and gives it a rich, velvety texture.
- Freshly Cut Dill Leaves – These add a fresh, herby note to the dish, compliment the lemon sauce, and make a beautiful garnish.
- Lemon Zest and Lemon Slices – The garnish of lemon zest and slices adds a final burst of citrusy freshness.
Substitutions And Variations
Here are some fun variations and substitutions to try with this versatile dish:
- Protein: If you’re looking to mix things up, feel free to substitute the chicken with turkey or even tofu. Just remember to adjust the cooking times accordingly.
- Spices: While the recipe calls for garlic and onion powder, don’t be afraid to experiment with other spices. Try adding paprika or cayenne for a bit of heat, or rosemary and thyme for a herby twist. It’ll go great with our Garlic Herb Baby Potatoes.
- Gluten-Free: For a gluten-free version, substitute the regular flour with a gluten-free one or cornstarch.
- Vegan: If you’re vegan or dairy-free, you can replace the butter with margarine or a vegan butter substitute.
- Fresh Herbs: Not a fan of dill? Try using other fresh herbs like parsley, chor chives.
- Garnish: If you want to get creative with your garnish, try adding capers, olives, or even a sprinkle of feta cheese.
Step-By-Step Recipe Instructions
- Dry the chicken pieces with paper towels and season with spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook the chicken until brown and no longer pink in the center.
- Whisk together the lemon dill sauce ingredients and cook until reduced by half.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve with desired garnish.
For full list of ingredients and instructions, see recipe card below.
How To Prep Ahead
This creamy lemon chicken is a crowd-pleaser and we’ve got some handy tips to make prepping it even easier. Take a look at our favorite prep-ahead strategies for this recipe:
- Seasoning Mixture: The dry seasonings can be pre-mixed well ahead of time. You can make a bigger batch of seasoning to keep in a sealed container for future use.
- Season the Chicken: You can season the chicken breasts in advance with the seasoning mix and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. This not only saves time but also allows the flavors to penetrate the chicken, making it even more flavorful.
- Prepare the Lemon Sauce: The lemon sauce can also be made ahead of time. Simply whisk together the chicken broth, milk, lemon juice, flour, butter, and dill leaves, and store it in the fridge. When you’re ready to cook, you just need to heat it up and reduce it in the skillet.
What To Serve With Creamy Lemon Chicken
Rice and Grains
- Instant Pot Parmesan Lemon Risotto is a delicious side dish to serve with creamy lemon chicken. The creamy, cheesy risotto compliments the tangy lemon chicken perfectly.
- We also recommend trying a 20-minute Lemon Spinach Orzo Salad. The light, refreshing flavors of the salad balance out the richness of the chicken.
- Creamy lemon chicken is amazing when served over buttered pasta. Fettuccini, spaghetti, fusilli, or angel hair pasta all work well.
- You could also try a simple Spaghetti Aglio e Olio. The garlic and olive oil flavors won’t overpower the chicken, making it a great pairing.
- When it comes to vegetables, broccoli and asparagus are our top picks to serve with creamy lemon chicken. They can be steamed, roasted, or grilled for a healthy side dish. We particularly love this Air Fryer Broccoli recipe!
- Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes or Garlic Herb Roasted Baby Potatoes would make a comforting side dish for creamy lemon chicken. The potatoes can soak up the delicious lemon sauce.
- A crusty baguette or a soft dinner roll is perfect for mopping up the creamy lemon sauce. It’s a simple side dish that everyone will love.
Commonly Asked Questions
We recommend boneless skinless chicken breasts for this creamy lemon chicken recipe. They cook evenly and absorb the seasoning and lemon sauce flavors beautifully. You can alternatively use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead, which are much more forgiving in terms of cook time.
Yes, you can use dried dill if fresh isn’t available. However, fresh dill leaves will give a brighter and more vibrant flavor to the dish.
Leaving a quarter of the pan uncovered allows steam to escape. This helps to prevent the chicken from getting too moist and losing its crispy exterior.
The chicken is cooked when it is brown on both sides and the center is no longer pink. The internal temperature for the thickest center portions should be no more than 165F.
Creamy lemon chicken can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight sealed container to maintain its freshness and flavor.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Creamy Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Use paper towels to thoroughly dry chicken pieces, ensuring all excess moisture is removed. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to form seasoning mixture. Evenly sprinkle seasoning over both sides of each chicken breast, pressing in to adhere mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken, taking care not to overcrowd. Cover skillet, leaving about a quarter of pan uncovered, to allow steam to escape.
- Cook until chicken is browned on both sides and center is no longer pink, no more than 165F internal temp for thickest center portions – about 3-4 min per side, depending on thickness and starting temp of chicken. Transfer cooked chicken to separate plate and keep warm.
- In a bowl, gently whisk together the lemon dill sauce ingredients until well incorporated. Pour sauce into the now-empty skillet and constantly stir over medium-high heat, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 5 min. You should end up with about 1 cup of sauce.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve with garnish, if desired.
- Always remember to pat dry your chicken breasts before seasoning. This helps the seasoning stick better and also promotes even browning when you cook the chicken.
- When combining your dry seasonings, make sure to mix them thoroughly for an even distribution of flavors. This will make sure that every bite of your chicken is perfectly seasoned.
- Be careful not to overcrowd your pan when cooking the chicken. This allows for even heat distribution and guarantees that the chicken cooks evenly without steaming.
- Always check the internal temperature of your chicken to make sure that it’s cooked thoroughly. The safe internal temperature for cooked chicken is 165F.
- When preparing your lemon dill sauce, whisk the ingredients gently to avoid lumps. This will give your sauce a smooth and creamy texture.
- Don’t rush the sauce reduction process. Let it simmer until it’s reduced by half for a concentrated flavor.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken just before serving to keep the chicken moist and flavorful. This also prevents the chicken from getting soggy.
- Garnishing your dish with lemon zest and slices not only makes it visually appealing but also enhances the lemon flavor.
- This dish is amazing with Instant Pot Parmesan Lemon Risotto and 20-Minute Lemon Spinach Orzo Salad.
Nutrition (per serving)
More To Cook And Eat
- Lemon Basil Orzo with Chicken – This Lemon Basil Orzo with Chicken is quick, easy, and absolutely scrumptious. It’s the ultimate spring-summer dinner.
- Skillet Shrimp Scampi Pasta with Lemon and Basil – This shrimp scampi pasta is loaded with garlic, lemon, and basil and has plenty of succulent shrimp.
- Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken – This Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken is incredibly easy and succulent. It’s a simple weeknight meal, yet delicious enough for the weekend.
- Mussels in Lemon Butter Wine Sauce – Fresh, succulent Mussels in Wine Sauce are the perfect aperitif for any meal. Light, flavorful, and cooked in a delectable wine sauce that’s slurp-worthy.