Easy Breakfast Enchilada Bake
This is the first season where all three boys are in baseball. If we thought tag teaming between two boys in baseball was hectic in past years, we’re in for a new awakening with our third Little now sporting cleats.
Crazy as it is to run three boys to three different park fields on the same day – several times a week – it’s completely and totally worth it for our family. Because our boys are very rough and tumble little guys. They’ll either tear it up out on the ball field or tear up our house.
It’s a no brainer choice.
All your favorite Mexican flavors
Besides the benefit of getting all their wiggles out on the field and making memories outdoors as a family, there is one other thing I love about baseball season: the unparalleled cuteness of 5-year-olds hitting and fielding, wearing caps too big for their baby heads.
And 8-year-olds who still break out in happy smiles over the all important treats after a well-played game.
Not to be outdone by 11-year-olds who still believe in themselves enough to proclaim that they are the best pitcher in all of 5th grade. #itsaboything
Not your usual breakfast casserole
Of course all this time on the fields every other night, plus weekends, means one thing for moms: less time in the kitchen.
Which is actually really okay, because of easy dishes like this Breakfast Enchilada Bake. It’s called Breakfast because it’s a casserole chock full of sausage, eggs, tomatoes, and cheese.
Yet it’s got all the makings of dinner as well. If your family enjoys breakfast-for-dinner or Wacky Wednesday type meals, they’ll love this casserole both morning and evening.
Prepare it the night before
My favorite thing about this delicious savory casserole is that most of it can be prepared the night before. I wouldn’t recommend pouring the egg custard in until right before baking, unless you don’t mind soggy bottoms. My preference is to make the filling and egg custard the night before and quickly assemble before baking. That way, the flour tortillas turn out soft and chewy without being soggy. Super scrumptious.
Don’t forget the salsa to slather all over it before you dig in. Enjoy!
Breakfast Enchilada Bake
- 1 lb Chorizo, or spicy sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 can, 4 oz diced green chilies, drained
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar Jack or Mexican Blend cheese, divided
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups half & half cream
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 1 TB flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp table salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
Optional for Serving:
- Salsa, sliced green onions, or guacamole
- In a large nonstick pan, cook Chorizo on medium high heat until browned. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add tomatoes and green chilies, stirring together for 1 minute. If not using immediately, place cooked mixture in airtight container and chill until ready to use.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, cream, milk, flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. If not using right away, place egg mixture in airtight container and chill until ready to use.
- Grease a 9x11 baking dish and preheat oven to 350F with rack on middle position.
- Drain Chorizo mixture of excess liquids. Lay flour tortillas on a flat surface, such as baking sheets or cutting board. Evenly divide Chorizo mixture between the tortillas, spooning mixture into the centers. Evenly spoon 2 cups of shredded cheese, divided into each tortilla. Gently yet tightly roll up each tortilla and nestle into greased baking dish.
- Use a ladle to spoon egg mixture evenly throughout the dish, taking special care to ensure edges of tortillas are covered with the egg custard. Cover with foil and bake 55 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle casserole with remaining 2 cups of cheese, making sure the edges of tortilla are covered with cheese (prevents tortillas from getting overly browned.) Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is set. Let sit at room temp 15 minutes. Serve with fresh salsa and garnish with cilantro or green onions.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Here are a few other favorite Tex-Mex style, easy peasy recipes for you!