The Best Breakfast Potato Casserole when you need comfort food
Today’s a comfort food day. Maybe more than a day.
Because Friends, it’s been one of those weeks. I’m not even talking weather, though I could rant one’s head off about the arctic subzero wind chills if you asked me to.
It’s just been that kind of week. The kind where I forgot to pick up my middle schooler on time and where I lost an entire cartridge of laborious food photography that was…Never.Uploaded. I’m still traumatized. That’s two nightmares come true. Not on the same day.
It’s been that kind of week where kids are sick, drama is in da house up by a gazillion percent, and I fell hard on my head pretending to be Michelle Kwan on ice skates.
I might have a concussion as I sip green tea this very moment.
These are the moments that crack breakfast potato casseroles were created for, and that’s not all…
They call this crack breakfast potato casserole for a reason
Two nights ago, while nursing possible concussion, I sat in an overcrowded band concert where 300 children attempted to play instruments. Bless their hearts. And I picked the seat next to a tween who had his iPad on ear-splitting decibel.
I had to miss my Littlest Little’s much-anticipated field trip to the theater. That was the only one I really wanted to do because it’s clearly the easiest.
I picked the only parking spot out of allthespots that got blocked in by a beer truck unloading cases of brew.
Oh, and that work deadline that’s due tomorrow? It was due yesterday.
P.S. I fed my lovelies frozen pizza for dinner twice this week.
So comfort food today, it is, in the form of this ridiculously hearty and rich and scrumptious crack breakfast potato casserole. That’s what they (whoever they are) named this potato breakfast casserole dish, and one bite is all you’ll need to understand why.
Speaking of comfort food, Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is one of our time-tested, kitchen-tested all time favorites. It won’t let you down.
And yeah, I know. Moving onto my Thanksgiving Journal.
(Along with three servings of Crack Breakfast Potato Casserole.)
Crack Breakfast Potato Casserole
- 1 cup cooked/crumbled breakfast sausage
- 10 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked/crumbled
- 40 oz approx. frozen/refrigerated hash brown potatoes
- 32 oz. regular sour cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 TB ranch seasoning, or 2 packages store-bought
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp table salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F with rack on lower middle position. Set aside 1/4 cup bacon for topping.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until fully combined well. Transfer to a 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle reserved 1/4 cup bacon evenly on top. If baking right away, bake for 45-60 minutes uncovered, until top is golden. Otherwise, cover tightly and chill overnight; you'll need to add bake time if the casserole is cold.
- If desired, garnish with chives or parsley. Serve while hot.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
The reason they call it Comfort Food: