This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is a magnificent side dish for any spring/summer! This recipe tastes like the L&L Hawaiian BBQ mac salad…so irresistibly yummy. Don’t be surprised when people reach for seconds or thirds of this mac salad.
Hubby and I both grew up near the sandy beaches of So. Cal. As it turns out, we grew up about an hour away from one another. Being on the West Coast near the ocean and year-round sunshine means one thing. A thriving Hawaiian culture, evidenced through surf and food.
I can’t speak to the surf, since the most adventurous I ever got on the waves was via boogie board. But food? Yeah, that I can gab about. Hawaiian food joints were all around me, and simply adored it.
Anything from mom-and-pops, hole-in-the-wall restaurants to Hawaiian fast food joints…I was all in. And one of my favorite quick bites was at L&L Hawaiian BBQ. Lunch Plates = Swoon.
L&L was even my go-to caterer for The Littles’ birthday parties. I’d still do that now if they opened up shop here in the Midwest. And In-N-Out too, while we’re at it. It’s high time to come on over, Guys.
Every time we go back to Cali to visit family, I’m sure to schedule a visit to L&L for my favorite lunch plate. Hawaiian BBQ Chicken, Kalua Pork, and a heaping scoop of Mac Salad.
I’m not even a mac salad type of gal, but this one is ridiculously yummy. It’s pretty much the only mac salad I’m into. Thankfully, it’s also super easy to make.
Just cook up your macaroni until it’s nice and tender. Drain and rinse in cold water to halt the cooking. Be sure it’s well drained so no excess water interferes with the dish.
Then pile on the shredded carrots, minced onions, green onions, and spices. Real mayo for creaminess. It’s that easy. Mix it all together and chill until you’re ready to serve.
The result is a superbly luscious macaroni salad that’s simpler and tastier than any mac salad you’ve ever feasted on. It’s the perfect side dish for any picnic spread, backyard cookout, or potluck. It’s great next to all your favorite BBQ meats and veggies.
Whenever this salad is served at any of our shindigs, it’s always a hit. Good thing it easily feeds a crowd. It’s an awesome dish to serve on a budget, too.
Here’s to many more warm summer days with plenty of backyard cookouts. And taking every opportunity to dish it up Island style.
This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is so good, it’s addictive. Easy to make, feeds a crowd, and tastes awesome. Don’t be surprised when people go back for seconds and thirds of this mac salad.
- 1/2 lb dry elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 TB shredded carrots
- 1 cup real, whole mayo
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Optional: freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to boil. Cook macaroni until tender, according to package instructions. Drain, rinse thoroughly with cold water; be sure to drain well.
- Combine remaining ingredients with the cold, cooked macaroni. Toss to combine well. Chill 2-3 hours or overnight. Toss again right before serving.
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from Food
A BBQ party isn’t complete without all the awesome sides! Here are some faves:
1. Southwestern Barley Salad. Light yet packed with flavor. The lime and cilantro really shine, while barley adds a toothsome satisfaction.
2. Hawaiian Salmon Poke. Not really a side, but an extremely popular appetizer (or light dinner) in Hawaii. Nutritious and delicious.
3. Potato Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. A deliciously tangy, slightly sweet, and zippy potato salad that adds tasty interest to your table.
4. Caprese Pasta Salad. As delicious as it is pretty. Perfect spring/summer side dish or light lunch.