This Surprise Avocado Chocolate Bread is supremely decadent. It’s healthy, ridiculously moist, and mouthwatering. Great way to use up ripe avocados; nobody will guess your secret ingredient.
The surprise in this Avocado Chocolate Bread is going to be a shocker to everyone except you. Because you saw the title and nobody else did.
When you serve this amazing quick bread, just call it plain old Chocolate Chip Bread. Aka CC Bread. Choco Bread.
Point is…keep mum about the green.
We promise that nobody will guess you got all bake-smart and snuck entire avocados into their sweet treat.
Even if you did tell ’em straight up, they still might not believe you…
I personally tested that theory out three times. First up, The Hubbs. Even though he initially balked at the idea of avocados in quick bread, he miraculously forgot that I’d mentioned anything green when he took his first bite. And countless bites after that.
The Littles saw me toss cupfuls of mashed avocado into their chocolate bread. Totally didn’t stop them from devouring an entire loaf.
I even made a loaf to bring to my gals in Bible study, who are all like super-woman smart. Even after I teased them about a secret green ingredient, nobody guessed it and I kept holding out. Fun for me; probably annoying for them. But I did get requests for the recipe afterwards. (Girls, this one’s for you 😋 )
Go ahead. Bake it up and see for yourself.
You just might not believe it.Print
Avocado Chocolate Bread is super moist, yummy, and decadent! You won’t taste the avocado, but it lends extra decadence and tenderness to the bread.
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large ripe avocados
- zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Grease two 9×5 loaf pans and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, use paddle attachment to cream together the butter and sugar until light yellow and fluffy, 3-5 min. on medium speed. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Add orange zest, mashed avocado, and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground allspice until combined. Stir dry mixture into the butter mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk, mixing until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and remaining buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated (don’t over-mix.) Use a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate chips and pecans just until combined. Divide batter evenly between the two greased loaf pans.
- Bake 60- minutes in preheated oven, until toothpick inserted into center of both loaves come out with tender crumbs attached. Cool fully on wire rack before carefully removing from pans.
Source: Chew Out Loud
Crazy for Chocolate