Zebra Caramel Popcorn
With a name like Zebra Caramel Popcorn, you know it’s gotta be something special. Crunchy, buttery caramel popcorn is coated with double layers of chocolate for the ultimate treat.
Despite the hectic life, we still aim for Friday Family Night whenever we can swing it.
This usually consists of one of 4 things:
a) hyper Nerf wars where I get my eye taken out
b) Just Dance competitions where I take out someone else’s eye
c) movie night where nobody gets hurt
d) all of the above
My personal fave is Just Dance, but the odds are against me when certain people have learned shenanigans to fool the system and win. What’s the fun in that?!
When I’ve had it with the all the monkeyshines, we move onto movie night. Group exhale. Calm couch, fuzzy blanket, and a ginormous bowl of Zebra Caramel Popcorn…
It’s no secret we’re crazy about caramel. These salted caramel brownies and carmelita bars are edible proof.
A few years back, my brother just had to go out and buy our boys a box full of Popcornopolis Zebra Popcorn.
Needless to say, that was that. No looking back.
Hi there, Homemade Zebra Caramel Popcorn. You’re lookin’ might fine today ↓↓
I’m feelin’ the bullet lists today. So. Here’s why we all need Zebra Caramel Popcorn in our lives:
- It’s easily made ahead of time and keeps super well until you need it
- It’s crowd-pleasing and perfect for parties
- It’s awesome for gift-giving during the holidays; just wrap up in pretty cellophane, ribbons, and tag it.
- It’s WAY cheaper than buying from fancy schmancy popcorn shops
- It’s crunchy, salty, sweet, and there’s chocolate involved
OR you can simply exhale and just call it a movie night.
Whip up a big batch of zebra caramel popcorn, grab a fuzzy blanket, and enjoy.
Zebra Caramel Popcorn
- 5 TB vegetable oil
- 1 cup good quality unpopped corn kernels
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup, I use half light, half dark
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 cup salted butter
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 250F, with rack on lower position.
- In a very large heavy pot, add 5 TB oil and 3 corn kernels. Heat on medium-high with lid on and start to listen. Once the first kernel pops, carefully add the 1 cup corn kernels. Shake pan to coat kernels with oil. Place lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape during popping. Shake pot occasionally during popping. Once the popping slows to 2-3 seconds in between, immediately remove from heat and transfer popped corn into a large roasting pan.
- Place roaster in oven to keep popcorn warm.
- In a heavy saucepan, add brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, and butter. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring. Boil 5 minutes, stirring/scraping constantly. Remove from heat and gently add the baking soda and vanilla. Mixture will turn foamy as you stir. Stir until mixture is thickened.
- Pour mixture over warm popcorn and stir to coat as much as you can, with popcorn in an even layer. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to coat.
- Transfer caramel corn to a lined baking sheet to cool, in a single layer. Let cool completely. While popcorn is cooling, place chocolates in separate microwave-safe bowls. Microwave 30 seconds per bowl at a time, stirring between each interval, repeating until smoothly melted. Drizzle evenly over popcorn. Let drizzled chocolate cool completely before carefully separating the popcorn into pieces (some of the hardened chocolate will break apart; this is normal.) Keeps well in airtight container for up to a week.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud
So MUNCH Fun…
2. 4-Ingredient Cheese Crackers