I mentioned that this was officially turning out to be apple week, right? We are almost down to our last apple in the kitchen, and soon will be hitting the sweet apple orchards for some DIY apple picking. I’m really looking forward to taking the kids to various orchards this fall, with the current weather a bit milder and easier on our pint-size harvesters.
Our week of apple love included these tasty and healthier Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnut Holes for breakfast. Not to mention these fluffy soft Apple Oatmeal Cookies for afternoon pick-me-ups. Now I’m serving up this apple caramel cinnamon cake, which is as dreamy as it gets.
I’ve been wanting to bake up an apple cake for pretty much ever. Yes, ever since an old friend brought a tasty apple cake over to our house many years ago and we stuffed ourselves silly with it, I’ve been daydreaming about making one every fall. You know how it is. So many things to make and eat, so little time.
Finally, finally, I got around to finding this gem of a recipe. And what a shining gem it is. This apple cake is the best apple cake we have ever had the pleasure of devouring. Inhaling. Gorging on.
It’s seriously finger-lickin’-good. You’re supposed to use a fork? Huh. Don’t tell me and my four-year-old that. It’s honestly that good.
This apple caramel cinnamon cake just might be the best thing we’ll make with apples this entire fall. It’s amazingly tender, super moist, and brimming with plummy apples and warm spices in every bite. The warm caramel drizzle is a luscious bonus, but truthfully, this moist cake can fly solo. It is just as decadent with or without the caramel.
Or you can give in and go all out. Drizzle that ooey gooey caramel all over the cake, followed by a sprinkle of powdered sugar. You decide. Just don’t lose this recipe, because we guarantee you’ll want it for pretty much ever.
Enjoy the apple season!Print
This apple caramel cinnamon cake is SUCH a gem. It’s super moist, tender, and brimming with warm spices and plummy apples. It is just as delish with or without the caramel drizzle!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, diced small)
- 1/2 cup caramel candies
- 2 tsp water
- powdered sugar, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F and move rack to middle or lower middle position. Generously grease and flour a 9×13 baking pan. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of a mixer, beat oil and eggs until fully combined. Add both sugars and vanilla and beat until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture and use rubber spatula to fold together just until incorporated. The batter will be thick. Fold in the diced apples with spatula and spread batter into greased/floured pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Don’t over-bake.
- Cool cake on wire rack. Slice into squares to serve, when cake is cooled.
- For caramel drizzle: Melt caramels and 2 tsp water in saucepan, stirring constantly just until melted. Will be very hot! Drizzle with fork over cake squares. Sprinkle powdered sugar just before serving, if desired.
Source: Chew Out Loud, inspired by allrecipes