Blueberry Lemon French Toast Bake
Whether you’re an early bird or or a sleeper-inner, this Blueberry Lemon French Toast Bake is worthy of your morning attention. Night Owls, have no fear: this standout French toast casserole is easy to assemble the night before.
Cooking smarter is all about savvy use of your time, and this blueberry lemon French toast bake recipe is here to help you skillfully serve up a family favorite breakfast without losing all the shuteye.
Blueberry and Lemon Lover’s Dream
This blueberry lemon French toast casserole hits the mark, with its refreshing lemon + juicy blueberry combination:
- You’ll love the five whole tablespoons of lemon curd in this French toast bake. You can use your favorite brand of lemon curd, though we highly recommend saving this lemon curd recipe so you can make your own way-better lemon curd that promises to elevate every toast, cracker, or baked good you use it on.
- The zest of 2 whole lemons goes into this blueberry lemon French toast bake. We can’t think of anything more refreshing than fresh lemon zest.
- Plenty of fresh blueberries provide all the juicy, sweet berry abundance in this breakfast casserole.
- Because this French toast casserole rests in the fridge overnight, it’s best to use fresh blueberries. Try to nab in-season pump, sweet berries for best results.
Blueberry Lemon Sauce (4 Ingredients)
You’re about to meet the most luscious blueberry sauce ever known to woman. It’s so delectable, you’ll probably want to eat some of the sauce with a spoon and we’re not here to stop you.
Aside from water, all you need are:
- Fresh or frozen blueberries. You read right about fresh blueberries being a must for the French toast itself, but feel free to use up any frozen blueberries you have for the sauce.
- After zesting your lemons for the French toast casserole, juice those lemons for the sauce.
- Plain, regular sugar is all you need for balanced sweetness.
- Cornstarch is an ideal thickener for this fruity syrup.
Tip: blueberry lemon sauce can be made in advance. Extra sauce keeps well in fridge.
After baking the casserole, generously pour on the sauce. If you have a crowd who likes their French toast extra saucy, feel free to double the sauce. It keeps well for future use on Fluffy Belgian Waffles and Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes, too.
more blueberry and lemon recipes to make and eat:
- Blueberry Lemon Bread (Fresh or Frozen Blueberries)
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Soft Lemon Pudding Cookies
- Easy Blueberry Sour Cream Cake Recipe
- Lemon Olive Oil Yogurt Cake
- Big Blueberry Muffins, Bakery Style
- Lemon Almond Poppy Seed Bread
Try our fan-favorite texas french toast, too:
Blueberry Lemon French Toast Bake
This Blueberry Lemon French Toast Bake is bursting with fresh berries, zesty lemons, and an incredible blueberry drizzle. This casserole is not overly sweet, so the sweet blueberry drizzle is perfect as a topping.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 12 1x
- For the French Toast:
- 1 large loaf (14–16 oz) hearty French bread, cubed, about 12 cups worth
- 12 oz (1 1/2 blocks) whole cream cheese, softened*
- 5 TB homemade or store bought lemon curd
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- zest of 2 lemons
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Place half of the bread cubes evenly in the dish. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, blend softened cream cheese together with lemon curd on medium high until fully mixed and soft. Spread mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Sprinkle fresh blueberries evenly over the cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining bread cubes evenly.
- In a large bowl, blend together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Slowly and evenly pour egg mixture over entire casserole, ensuring that all bread cubes are soaked. Cover tightly and chill overnight.
- Remove dish from fridge and let sit at room temp while you preheat the oven. Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Loosely cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes or until center is firm and top is quite puffy and golden brown. Sprinkle top with lemon zest. Let rest at room temp 15-20 minutes to allow custard to set before serving. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Make the Sauce: In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Be sure cornstarch is completely dissolved. Bring to a low boil. Add the blueberries. Continue to stir on low boil until syrup turns thick and a rich purple. Some berries will burst. Drizzle warm sauce over entire French Toast Bake, reserving about half of the sauce for serving at the table.
Blueberry sauce can be made in advance. Gently reheat when ready to drizzle.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 15.2 g
- Sodium: 199.3 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.7 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 10.4 g
- Cholesterol: 215.4 mg
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Blueberry Lemon French Toast, Blueberry French Toast, Lemon French Toast, French Toast Casserole