I told y’all we did our share of strawberry picking and how great and un-great it was, right?
So here’s the great part. Mountains of fresh berries for loads of yumminess.
This Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Bake has easily skyrocketed to the top of the berry-good list.
Fresh strawberries are all that and more; if it’s summer, you can’t beat the sweetness of ripe fruit. That said, frozen ones will do if you’re craving this crowd-pleasing dish during the off-season.
First, let’s talk strawberries and cheesecake. Is there a more classically delicious combo that exists in the universe than strawberries and cheesecake?!
You’ll be whipping up a creamy, decadent cheesecake filling to hang out with the juicy berries in this luscious French toast bake.
Be sure to have a nice, thick loaf of French bread, preferably at least a day old. Cut it into thick slices and start layering all the goodness into your pan.
Cover tightly, chill overnight, and sleep in. You’ve just gifted yourself with an extra hour of beauty sleep in the morning.
Take it out, bake it up, and serve it to all the hungry mouths.
Syrup is completely optional with this one, as the casserole boasts great flavor all on its own.
Here’s to all the brunches, potlucks, and overnight guests.
You’ve got the morning meal down pat.
Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Bake
- 2 cups freshly sliced strawberries, the sweeter the better
- 1 ½ loaves, about 22 oz French bread, sliced into 1-inch thick slices (20 slices total)
- 2 packages, 16 oz total regular cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 11 large eggs
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup half-and-half OR heavy cream
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside. Using a stand mixer or electric mixer, beat cream cheese on medium high until light and fluffy. Whisk in sugar to fully incorporate. Mix in 1 of the eggs and the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients until well combined and set aside.
- Layer 10 slices of the French bread on bottom of baking dish. Spread two-thirds of the cream cheese mixture evenly over the bread. Place half of the sliced strawberries on top evenly. Repeat layering with remaining slices of bread, cream cheese mixture, and strawberries.
- Slowly and evenly pour the egg mixture over the top of all the layers, pressing down a bit so that all the bread gets coated with some of the egg mixture. Cover tightly with foil and chill overnight.
- Remove from fridge and let sit at room temperature while you preheat oven to 350F. Bake 30 minutes, covered. Bake for another 30 minute uncovered, until top is nicely golden brown and puffy throughout (center should be puffy and feel set, rather than jiggly.) Note that actual bake time varies depending on individual ovens.
- Let rest at room temp 15 minutes before serving. Serve with maple syrup or as-is.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud
Breakfast of Champions…