Easy Blueberry Cake
It’s the season for all things berries. In our berry-obsessed family, we gobble up blueberries all year round. Blueberry eating simply can’t be limited according to the calendar.
From January through December, our peeps can be found munching anything from blueberry crumble, to blueberry French toast, to this Blueberry Sour Cream Cake.
This ultra moist blueberry cake is genuinely so yummy, it needs no icing or frosting at all. [Hence, the reason this cake is more than okay for breakfast.]
My family knows that I’m a picky cake person. I’ll only eat cake if it’s a great cake that’s worth every bite. This Blueberry Sour Cream Cake instantly meets the Big Three criteria: taste, texture, and simplicity. The Kemps® Sour Cream I used here was key in meeting all those criteria. It’s gotta taste awesome, it has to be moist/tender, and it needs to be easy to make. I mean, unless it’s for someone’s birthday, I don’t want to deal with more than 10 ingredients in my batter.
This blueberry sour cream cake recipe is the complete package.
This blueberry cake is winningly tender and moist, courtesy of whole sour cream and plenty of fresh blueberries.
Sour Cream in your cake
The beauty of sour cream-based cakes is that they result in a fine, tender, ultra-moist crumb. Sour cream’s acidity and creaminess generates cakes that have amazing texture and flavor. This cake tastes like an incredibly tender and soft blueberry pound cake. Basically, hands-down epic.
Plump blueberries + sour cream = cake to be devoured AM, PM, and anytime in between.
This Blueberry Sour Cream Cake? ⇑ It is a jaw-dropping breakfast or dessert cake that is worth Every. Single. Bite.
Bonus: this cake gets even better the next day, so you can totally bake it the night before you’d like to serve it. It also freezes nicely, so consider yourself ridiculously lucky if you have leftovers to freeze. I’m rarely ever that lucky.
Easy Blueberry Sour Cream Cake
This Blueberry Sour Cream Cake is amazingly easy and ultra scrumptious! With its moist, tender crumb and berry sweetness, it can be enjoyed for breakfast AND dessert. It’s so delicious, you won’t even need frosting.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 65 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 mins
Yield: 8 1x
- 3/4 cup butter, softened but not melty at all
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ripe blueberries (dry any surface moisture)
- Optional: powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Generously grease and flour bottom and sides of a 9-inch Springform pan with removable sides. Tap out excess flour and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer (or just a large bowl, if using electric hand mixer) combine the softened butter and sugar. Using paddle attachment, cream until light and fluffy, 2-3 min on medium high speed. Lower to medium speed and beat in the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) and gently whisk to combine well. Use a rubber spatula to fold dry ingredients into wet butter mixture, just until a few slight flour streaks remain; do not over mix batter.
- Sprinkle blueberries with a big pinch of flour, just to lightly coat. Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries into the batter, reserving 1/2 cup blueberries for later. Evenly spread batter into prepared Springform pan, ensuring even surface through the edges. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup blueberries evenly on top of batter. Place cake on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake 65-70 min, or just until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few tiny tender crumbs attached (start watching cake about 20 minutes beforehand, to make sure it’s not browning too quickly. Check often and loosely tent with foil if needed.)
- Let cake cool completely in pan. Once edges have cooled and pulled away from sides of pan, gently remove the sides. Serve with dusting of powdered sugar, if desired.
- Category: breakfast, dessert, cake
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry sour cream cake
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram