These melt-in-your-mouth jam thumbprint cookies are supremely tender and buttery! We made a new video for you. See why they’re the Most Pinned Holiday Cookie.
* These cookies were the Most Pinned Holiday Cookie, as featured on Good Morning America and ABC News. Since these thumbprints are so popular, they deserved an update with new step-by-step photos below. We also added a new video for those of you who’ve been asking to see these cookies in action. Hope you love it. 💛
Jam Thumbprint Cookies are still the classic favorite
The first time I had these tender, melt-in-your-mouth Buttery Jam Thumbprint Cookies was over a decade ago.
A close friend of mine had graciously whipped up a delicious batch of these one night and shared a plate of them with us. I remember it being nighttime, and I was more tired than hungry, so I thought about declining.
For a nanosecond.
[I don’t actually decline cookies.]
One bite and I was smitten. I ended up eating more than a couple right then and there. Plus a few more to go.
I didn’t stand a chance against the buttery, tender, melty goodness of these cookies. Similar to these Twix Thumbprint Cookies Recipe and these 3-Ingredient Buttery Shortbread Cookies …they always get recipe requests.
Watch us make these Buttery Jam Thumbprint Cookies:
I was so taken by these buttery jam thumbprint cookies that I immediately tore out a piece of paper and scribbled out the recipe by hand.
This was well before iPhones and iPads. Plus retina display blah blah. An era my children will never know.
These scrumptious cookies, however, said kids have come to know and love quite well.
Slightly softened butter
Super important: this is in the recipe instructions, but it’s worth mentioning because it makes all the difference — be sure your butter is slightly softened, but not at all melty. This will determine the texture of the cookies. Butter should be just soft enough to give a bit when you gently press, but not too soft.
Then, beat the semi-soft butter with sugar for about 2 minutes, until mixture is light and “fluffy” as pictured above. Then add the remaining ingredients and beat only until dough comes together into a sticky ball that needs some time to chill.
Narrow, Deep Wells
Once dough has fully chilled, you can easily work out your dough balls.
I trend toward smaller cookies, about 1-inch size dough balls. The center well should be deep but not too wide; this prevents the cookie from spreading out too thinly during baking.
You’ll be rewarded with adorably cute round cookies that are way better than anything store bought. The kind that’s perfect for bringing to a friend, for cookie exchanges, holiday gatherings, or just for you.
What’s your jam?
If your finished cookies want a tiny top-off of fresh jam after baking, feel free to oblige them. Just a little dollop of extra jam on top of freshly baked cookies will give them a special sparkle 🌟
Sprinkle with powdered sugar to your tummy’s content.
Eat, share, repeat. Pass along the cookie joy.
Kitchen Stuff We Love:
Crazy for Cookies…
- Chewy Mint Chocolate Cookies. Minty Andes morsels are used in these soft and chewy cookies; sure to please!
- White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies. These are my personal favorite cookie of all time. I just love crunchy macadamia and velvety white chocolate. These stay chewy forever. Or several days, at least.
- Salted Caramel Kiss Cookies. Melty caramel kisses, tucked into soft little cookies? Yes, of course I’ll have a dozen of those.
- Double Chocolate M&M Cookies. Uber chocolatey, chewy, and full of crunchy M&M candies. Yummo!
- Snowball Cookies. The quintessential Christmas cookie. Love these. Melt in your mouth, guaranteed.
- 3-Ingredient Buttery Shortbread Cookies. These are the best shortbread we’ve ever had the pleasure of baking and eating.
- Of course, Chewy Snickerdoodles. It’s not Christmas baking without these delicious cookies on the tray.
- These are the BEST, thick, chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies!
We’d love to have you follow us on Pinterest, where we regularly pin the best ideas we find.
Follow us on Facebook for fresh recipes & videos from us and other bloggers.
If you make one of our recipes, tag us @chewoutloud on Instagram and we’ll give you a shout out! We’ve even started a brand new channel on Youtube where you’ll be the first to get all our newest how-to videos.
We’re honored you came over today and hope you enjoyed today’s recipe. 🙂