In This Article
- What are sweet cornbread muffins?
- What you’ll love about this corn muffin recipe
- Pro Tips for how to make sweet corn muffins
- Key ingredients for sweet corn muffins
- Sweet Corn Muffins Commonly Asked Questions
- More to cook and eat
- Also Try Our Popular Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Did you make this?
- Sweet Corn Muffins Recipe
What are sweet cornbread muffins?
These corn muffins are the perfect balance of sweet and savory. The combination of whole grain cornmeal and corn kernels gives them a bit of texture, while the baking soda and eggs make them extra fluffy and moist.
These little muffins are the perfect things to serve at large family dinners. They would also be great for the holidays or a backyard barbecue or potluck. This corn muffin recipe makes 12 regular-sized muffins. If you want to make mini muffins, just adjust the baking time accordingly.
Double it, and you can send some cornmeal muffins home with people.
What you’ll love about this corn muffin recipe
- These scrumptious corn muffins go well with any meal. Because they’re delightfully sweetened, serve them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- They are perfectly moist and not too dry or crumbly.
- These cornmeal muffins will stay fresh for a few weeks, and they are easy to freeze if you want them to make a few extra.
- Not only are they soft and moist, but there are real corn kernels in them, giving them a complex texture that is extremely toothesome.
Pro Tips for how to make sweet corn muffins
- Whisk or use a sifter to sift the dry ingredients together. This prevents them from clumping and evenly distributes all of the ingredients together.
- Use an ice cream scoop. This will help you ensure that you are placing the same amount of batter in each cupcake liner. It also prevents a mess.
- Rotate the cupcake tin halfway through baking. Watch your oven, but turning them halfway through baking will prevent them from burning.
- Serve with real butter. Lots of people love to cut the muffins in half and add a pat of butter in the middle.
Key ingredients for sweet corn muffins
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. They are so easy to find that you probably already have them in your pantry.
- Unbleached All-Purpose Flour: To make it gluten-free, just use 1 to 1 gluten-free baking flour.
- Yellow Cornmeal: Use whole grain cornmeal in this muffin recipe.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Use both of these leavening agents to get the fluffiest sweet corn muffins that aren’t at all dense or heavy.
- Eggs: They are emulsifiers and hold all the ingredients together.
- White Sugar: Use more or less to taste; we use a bit more for a sweeter corn muffin.
- Regular Butter: Either salted or unsalted butter will work
- Whole Sour Cream: Full-fat sour cream provides a rich, tender texture to these corn muffins.
- Whole Milk: Milk adds extra moisture to the muffins. Use full-fat milk, as it creates a more tender, moist muffin.
- Frozen Corn Kernels: Frozen or fresh corn kernels will work perfectly. It helps add a bit of texture to the muffin.
Sweet Corn Muffins Commonly Asked Questions
There really isn’t a difference between them. Cornbread and corn muffins have the same ingredients, they are just baked in different shapes.
Be careful when you measure the ingredients. In particular, use the scoop and level method of measuring dry ingredients. If you accidentally use too much cornmeal or flour, it could throw off the balance and make the muffins a tad too dry.
Using both types of leavening agents allows for maximum lift of the corn muffins, without tasting acidic.
More to cook and eat
- Make-Ahead Corn Casserole – this side dish is creamy and almost like a corn soufflé; this corn casserole is another holiday meal staple.
- Sweet Honey Cornbread – this cornbread is on the sweeter side and would be a great addition to any holiday table.
- Autumn Pumpkin Cornbread – this version has all the flavors of fall in one quick and easy recipe.
- Honey Cornbread Muffins (No Refined Sugar) – these corn muffins are tastefully sweetened with honey.
Also Try Our Popular Sweet Potato Cornbread
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Sweet Corn Muffins
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position. Heat oven to 400F. Grease a standard muffin tin.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda in a bowl to combine well. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in second bowl until well combined and pale light yellow, about 20 seconds. Add sugar and whisk vigorously until homogenous, about 30 seconds. Add melted butter in 3 additions, whisking to combine after each addition. Add half of the sour cream and half of the milk. Whisk to combine. Whisk in remaining sour cream and milk until combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients together, mixing gently with rubber spatula until batter is just combined and evenly moistened; do not over mix. Gently fold in frozen corn kernels.
- Using ice cream scoop or large spoon, divide batter evenly among muffin cups, dropping to form mounds. Do not level or flatten tops of mounds.
- Bake until muffins are light golden and toothpick comes out almost clean (few tender crumbs are perfect.) Bake about 18-19 minutes, rotating tin halfway through baking time. Actual baking time varies with each oven, but watch closely not to over bake.
- Cool muffins in tin for a bit. Serve warm.
- Leftovers keep well in airtight container and can be reheated in microwave or oven.