Whether or not you consider yourself on Team Sweet Potato, we’re pretty confident this Dutch Sweet Potato Pie with flaky butter crust and crunchy streusel topping will wow your taste buds this holiday season.
There’s an obvious flaky-butter-crust obsession around here. And now we’re filing our favorite homemade crust with this smooth, rich, velvety sweet potato filling that goes head to head with your traditional holiday pie.
Here’s your excuse to create pie out of those extra sweet potatoes…
This Dutch Sweet Potato Pie Recipe is filled with all the good stuff:
- plenty of nutrient-dense sweet potatoes
- loads of holiday spices that promise to make your house smell incredible
- smooth, rich, velvety filling contrasted with crunch streusel topping
- that flaky buttery crust we already bragged about 😉
The meld of flavors and textures are magical. Honestly, this sweet potato pie brings a smile to its eaters all fall/winter long.
Here’s to Team Sweet Potato and everyone who’s about to come on board.
Dutch Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
This Dutch Sweet Potato Pie Recipe is silky, rich, creamy, and smooth with an amazing crunchy streusel topping. Goes head to head with your favorite pumpkin pie at any gathering.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 mins
Yield: 8 1x
- For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potato
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- For the Streusel Topping:
- 1 recipe for crunchy Streusel Topping
- For the pie crust
- 1 recipe for all butter crust
- Prepare ahead:Make the streusel topping, cover, and chill until ready to use. Make the pie crust, cover and chill until ready to use. Let it sit at room temp about 10 minutes before rolling out to use. Heat oven to 425F and roast whole sweet potatoes with skin on for 60 minutes or until very soft (may need to roast longer if your potatoes are large.) Let cool before removing skin.
- Make the Filling: Place roasted, peeled sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Mash well. Add butter and mix well. Add remaining filling ingredients, beating on medium speed with electric mixer until smooth and silky.
- Roll out the pie dough into a circle that is a bit larger than rim of a deep dish 9″ pie pan, leaving enough edge to fold over and crimp. Press dough into pan, fold the edges under and crimp or use fork to press edges down. Use rubber spatula to transfer filling into pie crust.
- Bake at 425F on lowest rack for 10 minutes. Lower oven to 325F. Sprinkle streusel topping over pie and bake another 50-60 minutes or until center is set. Cover edges of pie loosely with foil if needed to prevent edges from browning too quickly. Let pie cool completely before slicing.
Roasting the sweet potatoes whole with skin on gives them a depth of flavor that only whole roasting provides. You can roast potatoes a day ahead.
If you’re in a time crunch, store bought pie crust can work in a jiffy. However, homemade will taste best 🙂
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram