This is genius! Who knew beets would be such a scrumptious way to do hummus? This Roasted Beet Hummus is jaw dropping delicious. Easy, healthy, and crazy addictive.
If there was ever a genius food, it’s gotta be beets. I think there’s a beet bandwagon going ’round. I wouldn’t be surprised if beets hit the foodie scene the way avocado dips and chia seed puddings have.
I regret to inform anyone who’s listening that I’ve sadly neglected this humble purple root for years. Though beets were always stacked high at local farmer’s markets and in grocery stores, I never knew what I could do with them.
Until a couple years ago, when I started roasting those beautiful tubers. Stunning eats like Roasted Beet Salad with Blue were born. I realized roasted beets are waaayy better than canned beets. No comparison.
Then emerged this ridiculously flavorful Chocolate Beet Cake.
Now I think I’ve landed on the most breathtaking dip that exists – it’s not only spectacularly gorgeous to look at (have you ever seen such bright and vivid color without fake food coloring?)…it’s also astonishingly delicious.
This Roasted Beet Hummus is creamy, smooth, slightly sweet from beets, slightly tangy from lemons, and savory all at the same time. It boasts a primo nutty flavor from the tahini, aka sesame paste. Great for those who can’t have nuts, by the way.
And then there’s the garlic – the more the merrier.
The sweet, tangy, salty, and nutty flavors merge into a delectable dip that’s almost too good to be called a dip.
I mean, I’ve long been a hummus fan, as you will see from the mini roundup below.
But this Roasted Beet Hummus takes things to a sky-scraping new level.
Even our Littlest Little has been dipping like crazy into this Beet Hummus. The telltale giveaway is his bright magenta-purple lips 🙂
Who can blame the little guy for munching away at his pita ‘n beets?
After all, I’ve been walking around with magenta magic on the corners of my own lips lately. Guiltlessly.
Go ahead. Get on the beet bandwagon. It’s nutritious, healthy, and crazy delicious.
You won’t regret it.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Roasted Beet Hummus
- 3 medium beets, about 3 inches in diameter, stems/leaves removed
- ½ cup Tahini, pure sesame paste
- 3 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Pita chips or tortilla chips for serving
- Do Ahead: Preheat toaster oven or regular oven to 400F. Wrap beets individually in foil. Roast in oven about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender when pierced with fork. Carefully remove foil and let cool completely. Remove skin once cool (will be very easy.)
- In a heavy duty blender or food processor, combine roasted beets, Tahini, lemon juice, garlic, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Blend or process on medium high until smooth. Using a rubber spatula, scrape hummus into serving bowl. Drizzle with desired amount of olive oil (I use about 2-3 TB.) If desired, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with soft pita bread, crispy pita chips, or tortilla chips. Can be kept chilled, in airtight container, for several days.
- This recipe was inspired by Saveur Magazine, July 2015
- If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating – thank you ❤️
Nutrition (per serving)
We think you’ll find every single one of these hummus flavors deliciously addictive:
- Edamame Hummus. Creamy, healthy, delish!
- Sun Dried Tomato Hummus. We love the flavor sun dried tomatoes brings in!
- Avocado Hummus. Great way to use up those ripe avocados!