Corned Beef with Cabbage
Here’s our tried-and-true corned beef recipe originally created in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. This Crock Pot corned beef and cabbage is so good, it’s become an all time family favorite, and not just in March.
Despite everyone’s long standing infatuation with this tender pot roast I didn’t realize corned beef and cabbage would make it onto the fail-proof dinner list.
key Ingredients for Your Best Corned Beef
- As usual, we think easier is better: go with baby carrots instead of shredding and slicing big carrots.
- 4 lb fresh corned beef brisket, trimmed, with its own separate little spice pack.
- Regular beef broth provides essential liquid for cooking and full flavor.
- You’ll need one 6 oz can of beer; almost any type should work here.
- Fresh onion and garlic provide plenty of aromatics.
- Grab some whole peppercorns for a fragrant kick to the dish
- We opt for fingerling potatoes or baby red/gold potatoes, as their small size and inherent tenderness lets us skip any peeling and excess slicing.
- We find one head of fresh cabbage is perfect for this corned beef,. Although it may seem like a lot of cabbage, it cooks down to a fraction of the original volume,
Pro Tips for the Most Tender Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Let your slow cooker do the work, giving it plenty of time to cook the beef and cabbage down. We highly recommend the full 10-12 hours on low.
- Go big on flavor. Plenty of garlic, peppercorns, regular strength beef broth, and the corned beef spice packet all go towards that goal.
- Ensure that all ingredients are submerged in liquid so even the cabbage gains incredible flavor.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage only during your last 2 hours of cooking; this is important to prevent them from becoming mushy and too overdone.
- If you really prefer to slice yours rather than shred with a fork, simply decrease cook time by a couple of hours.
More to cook and eat:
- French Beef Stew. So worth every minute. Sooooo worth it. Make this for your friends, and they’ll always want to come over for dinner.
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Veggie Stew. Healthy, hearty, delish.
- P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef Copycat. So flavorful and tender, it’s not to be missed.
You May Love this Beef Stew with Potatoes, Too:
Slow Cooker Corned Beef with Cabbage
- ½ lb baby carrots
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 lb corned beef brisket, trimmed, with spice pack
- 4 cups beef broth, regular or low sodium
- 6 oz beer
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 TB whole peppercorns
- 7 fingerling potatoes or baby red/gold potatoes, halved
- 1 medium head of cabbage, sliced
- Prepare In a large slow cooker, place baby carrots and onion into the bottom. Place corned beef on the veggies.
- Season: Pour in the beef broth over the meat/veggies. Add the beer, garlic, and peppercorns. Sprinkle on the contents of spice pack that came with your corned beef.
- Cook: Cover and cook on low for 10 hours. Then add potatoes and cabbage; submerge them in the liquid as fully as possible, and cook 2 more hours on low, for a total of 12 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram