This Slow Cooker Corned Beef with Cabbage is a great all-in-one meal. It’s easy, tasty, and amazingly fork-tender.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef with Cabbage
Years ago, when I announced to Hubby I was planning on serving up corned beef in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I knew he’d be on board. I had no idea how all in he (and the entire family) would end up being.
Despite everyone’s long standing infatuation with this tender pot roast I didn’t realize corned beef and cabbage would make it onto the fail-proof dinner list.
On top of it all, when Hubby digs into this tender corned beef, he’s suddenly obligated to regale us with stories of how his grandpa used to make the best corned beef with cabbage every year for St. Patrick’s Day. Lucky for you, I’ll stick to recipe details only 🙂
Key Ingredients for Your Best Corned Beef
- As usual, we think easier is better: go with baby carrots instead of shredding and slicing big carrots.
- 4 lb fresh corned beef brisket, trimmed, with spice pack is what this recipe calls for.
- Regular beef broth provides essential liquid for cooking and full flavor.
- You’ll need one 6 oz can of beer; almost any type should work here.
- Fresh onion and garlic provide plenty of aromatics.
- Grab some whole peppercorns for a fragrant kick to the dish
- We opt for fingerling potatoes or baby red/gold potatoes, as their small size and inherent tenderness lets us skip any peeling and excess slicing.
- We find one head of fresh cabbage is perfect for this corned beef,. Although it may seem like a lot of cabbage, it cooks down to a fraction of the original volume,
Pro Tips for the Most Tender Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Let your slow cooker do the work, giving it plenty of time to cook the beef and cabbage down. We highly recommend the full 10-12 hours on low.
- Go big on flavor. Plenty of garlic, peppercorns, regular strength beef broth, and the corned beef spice packet all go towards that goal.
- Ensure that all ingredients are submerged in liquid so even the cabbage gains incredible flavor.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage only during your last 2 hours of cooking; this is important to prevent them from becoming mushy and too overdone.
This Slow Cooker Corned Beef with Cabbage is incredibly fork-tender. You may find it hard to even slice it across the grain because it’s so tender. If it weren’t boneless, it’d be falling off the bone. If you really prefer to slice yours rather than shred with a fork, simply decrease cook time by a couple of hours.
The veggies in this one deal meal are simply superb. The potatoes are savory and tender. The carrots and cabbage are infused with great flavor and deliciously soft.
There is plenty of savory sauce to pour over the entire dish, plus extra sauce for leftovers, ’cause that’s how we roll. Enjoy.
You May Love this Beef Stew with Potatoes, Too:
Awesome beef dishes to make:
1. Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast. This has made me famous. In my humble circle, at least. But I get requests for this one all the time, and everyone adores this succulent, tender beef.
2. French Beef Stew. So worth every minute. Sooooo worth it. Make this for your friends, and they’ll always want to come over for dinner.
3. Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Veggie Stew. Healthy, hearty, delish.
4. P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef Copycat. Ok, this isn’t a stew or crock pot recipe, but it’s not to be missed. Make it and you’ll forever crave it.