March is a fickle gal. Being the third month of the year, March marks the end of winter and the start of spring. She brings us daylight savings.
Sun sets later = yay.
Lose an hour sleep = boo.
March is also notorious for her rollercoaster weather every year. Despite the sudden weather plummet (seriously, a 30-degree drop in one day?!) and feisty 40-mph winds that render hairspray useless…I still gotta love March.
After all, it’s my family’s birthday month. My brother, cousin, and myself all have birthdays in March. Even Baby Bulldog turns 1 next week. He’ll chew on his new bone while the rest of us inhale cake.
If corned beef isn’t your jam, there’s this delicious Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Gravy…
This Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Gravy is what comfort food is all about. Hearty, savory, and satisfying.
Here’s to March.🍀
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Gravy
- 4 lbs beef chuck roast, boneless
- 4 TB olive oil
- 6 whole carrots, peeled/roughly sliced
- 6 stalks celery, roughly sliced
- 2 whole onions, quartered and roughly sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 4 TB tomato paste
- 3 cups regular strength beef broth
- 2 TB corn starch dissolved in 2 TB water
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Trim beef of some excess fat, but don’t trim it fully. Use paper towels to dry beef thoroughly. Slice roast into 8 even pieces. Generously season all sides of beef with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, pressing down to adhere seasoning to meat.
- In a large Dutch oven or large pot (not nonstick,) heat up 2 TB olive oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, brown half of the beef pieces on all sides. Repeat with other 2 TB olive oil and remaining pieces of beef. Transfer beef to slow cooker and set aside.
- In the original Dutch oven/large pot, add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic over medium high heat. Stir/cook 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker. Pour wine into the Dutch oven/large pot and deglaze over medium heat, scraping any leftover bits from the bottom of pot. Reduce to simmer, and simmer about 4 minutes or until liquid is almost reduced by half. Add wine mixture to the slow cooker. Add bay leaves. Fill slow cooker with broth and cook 12 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- Transfer meat and veggies to a serving platter and keep warm; skim fat off the liquid in slow cooker. In a saucepan, stir tomato paste for 1 minute over medium heat. Add the liquid from slow cooker and whisk until combined. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. Add dissolved corn starch mixture to the liquid; bring to a boil and stir until thickened to a gravy consistency. Pour gravy over the pot roast with veggies. Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve with rice, buttered noodles, crusty bread, or potatoes.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud