Caprese Salad with Strawberries and Avocado
If you’re anything like us, you’ve been trying to make the most of summer by spending time outdoors and enjoying the best, easy BBQ and grilling recipes that are meant to be enjoyed all season long.
And, if you’re anything like me, you might have had one too many bowls of Creamy Chocolate Ice Cream or three too many Fudgy Brownies, which is all completely okay. I also munched my way through Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies and sipped too much Cherry Mojito.
We balance it all out with fresh, healthy fare like this Strawberry Avocado Caprese Salad. We can all be super grateful that this is one of those salads that people actually crave and want to devour. Yet this bowlful of luscious sweet berries, creamy avocado, fresh basil, and rich balsamic vinaigrette is 100% in the healthy category and one of our favorite strawberry recipes.
How to Make Strawberry Avocado Caprese Salad
As always, start off with the freshest, ripest, sweetest berries you can get. My favorite is, of course, organic local fresh, ripe strawberries. Summer time is the best time for hoarding all the juicy berries. Ditto for the fresh basil. If you’re lucky enough to grow your own, you’ve got that part down. Otherwise, just be sure to buy a bunch of fresh basil.
We like sweet cherry tomatoes or any variety of bite-sized sweet tomatoes for this caprese recipe. The crunch goes really well with the rest of the salad.
We suggest using fresh pearl mozzarella balls, which are baby-sized. They’re smaller than the usual mozzarella balls. We like them for their ease of use (no need to slice them in half) and their cuteness.
For the avocado, it’s best to use ones that are ripe yet still firm enough to easily slice through; you don’t want mushy avocado here. Save the too-soft ones for this 5-Minute Real Guacamole.
Lastly, the balsamic vinegar. Use the best quality balsamic you possibly can, as the vinegar is basically the only ingredient in the entire dressing; so you’ll want a good one. We reduce our balsamic vinegar by half, which results in this thick, sweet, tangy yum-drizzle ↓
Why we love this Caprese Salad
- It’s way too easy not to try.
- Once you try it, it’ll be on salad rotation the rest of summer.
- Gives you an excuse to buy all the berries.
- It’s full of antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients.
- It looks beeaauutiful.
- It tastes like a delicious mouthful of summer.
You’ll probably want this all summer, too:
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Strawberry Avocado Caprese Salad Recipe
- ⅓ cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mozzarella pearls, extra mini
- 1 cup sweet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup ripe strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 large semi-ripe avocado, diced and sprinkled with lime juice
- ½ cup basil leaves, torn to small pieces
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Optional: honey roasted almonds, chopped or slivered
- Balsamic Reduction: In a small saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Boil and stir 3-4 minutes or just until liquid is reduced by about half; should be thick and syrup-like. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool to room temp.
- Toss: When ready to serve, add all remaining ingredients to a large platter or bowl, folding very gently with rubber spatula. Add kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, sprinkle with almonds if desired, and serve immediately.
Caprese salad is best when tossed and served immediately. Be sure all ingredients are chilled prior to slicing/combining. Balsamic reduction can be made up to 24 hours in advance and kept covered at room temperature. If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡